• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Nope, no ebrake, no turned hubs. I do recall Lee offered caliper options. I don't think I found a valid reason for choosing one over the other. I an running a couple mm spacer on the rear due to those calipers. Pretty minimal, and/but also limiting me to 195's.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Yikes, usually when things start to let go like that they really tend to make themselves known. Awfully strange that wasn't making any noise.

Have you gotten the trailing arm adjusters tacked in yet, Marshall? I helped a Spec-E30 friend re-install the trailing arms on his subframe while it was out of the car and even then we had a hell of a time getting them back into the subframe. I'm assuming that it was a problem with his measuring and or welding, but it still makes me a bit weary to put them in any of my cars if they're going to be that big of a pain to initially install, let alone adjusting them.

Ray, has your shock been relocated? I've never seen a rear Massive kit like that, and I quite like it.... Is that rotor the same size as Marshall's?

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

Hi Alex,

Lee provided a small spacer and bolt (I think) to replace the shock mount stud and step the shock away from the rotor a bit. That was the extent of the relocation. Not sure if the rotor size is the same as Marshall is running, but probably..

Cheers,

Ray

Yikes, usually when things start to let go like that they really tend to make themselves known. Awfully strange that wasn't making any noise.

Have you gotten the trailing arm adjusters tacked in yet, Marshall? I helped a Spec-E30 friend re-install the trailing arms on his subframe while it was out of the car and even then we had a hell of a time getting them back into the subframe. I'm assuming that it was a problem with his measuring and or welding, but it still makes me a bit weary to put them in any of my cars if they're going to be that big of a pain to initially install, let alone adjusting them.

Ray, has your shock been relocated? I've never seen a rear Massive kit like that, and I quite like it.... Is that rotor the same size as Marshall's?

not tacked in yet.  when i do i will use some old crappy trailing arms bolted in place while welding to keep the right spacing.  yes, will be assembling all before putting back in car!

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...

after losing the entire holiday vacation period due to battling the Flu, finally got a little work done.

got the trailing arm spring perches welded on in the forward position and sent them off with Jim G for his next powder coating batch

2015-01-01_15-38-18_442.jpg

then worked on the camber adjusters a bit.  the problem with these things is that they attache to the outside of the existing mounts.  when the trailing arm is raised to adjust, it slips off the stock location and picks up a 1/4in gap...slop.  solution....make some metal reinforcements/filler pieces to eliminate the gap and strengthen the mount.

here is the location for the adjuster.  notice the gap.

2015-01-04_16-58-32_269.jpg

got some 1/8th in thick steel and started cutting it up to fit.

2015-01-04_16-58-45_856.jpg

here is the concept.  weld these to top of stock mount, cut the slot for adjustment, then weld the adjusters on the outside.

2015-01-04_17-29-24_397.jpg

2015-01-04_17-29-33_942.jpg

2015-01-04_17-30-04_435.jpg

should work well...made four of them.  they will not be needed for the toe adjusters.

2xM3

Are you building an E30 M3 here? :D :D :D

Jim was under the weather too I know. Just how close are you two? :D :D :D:P

Ray

Are you building an E30 M3 here?
:D  :D  why would i want to make it into a slower car???? :D  :D 

slowly continuing the subframe project. time to cut some slots.

hold the adjusters in the desired position

2015-01-11_14-23-53_479.jpg

mark the needed hole expansion with an awl

2015-01-11_18-15-16_530.jpg

break out the grinders and files.  i used this one and a dremel.

2015-01-11_18-44-37_7.jpg

2015-01-11_15-44-01_389.jpg

test fit to make sure bolt slides the whole range.

2015-01-11_15-56-07_182.jpg

repeat for other side....

the inner ones for camber are easier.  straight cuts.

2015-01-11_19-45-04_131.jpg

again..test fit

2015-01-11_20-00-53_353.jpg

next will be the cutting of the extra plates for camber i made, then welding.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3