• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Needs A Pickup Truck When You Have A 2002?

Kile Brekke

Moving some parts to storage until next summer. 

The roof rack has come in very handy this year! 

I wasn't able to start the nose job this summer, but I did replace and paint the driver side fender panel.

To my surprise, it was a very easy job to do by yourself. 

I would love to just pop that hood on now, for the sake of function over form, and paint it later — but my girlfriend said she would refuse to get in the car with me if I had an Inka hood. With the main concern being that people might think it was a "style" thing and it would yield too many thumbs up from Acura Integra drivers. She's probably right, though…

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

I like it. I just made the drive from SF to WA state with a kitty condo and a bike on top of mine (after driving from DC to SF with two bikes on top and a few hundred pounds of tools + camping gear inside).

Looks way less fun when its covered in a tarp...

IMG_20140821_143248731_HDR.jpg

Moving some parts to storage until next summer.

The roof rack has come in very handy this year!

I wasn't able to start the nose job this summer, but I did replace and paint the driver side fender panel.

To my surprise, it was a very easy job to do by yourself.

I would love to just pop that hood on now, for the sake of function over form, and paint it later — but my girlfriend said she would refuse to get in the car with me if I had an Inka hood. With the main concern being that people might think it was a "style" thing and it would yield too many thumbs up from Acura Integra drivers. She's probably right, though…

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

Is that her Volvo in the background? Glad to see he is looking out for you and keeping you away from the little street racers and their Hondas. ;)

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Is that her Volvo in the background?

Yah, that's her Volvo Amazon. Also a fun car. I think she is just jealous if I make progress on my car without finishing hers. 

(note her two patches of primer that I started 2 months ago) 

Now, if I can only get an entire 02 shell on the roof of the car, that'd be quite the sight to see…

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

I'm always amazed (as are bystanders) at what will fit in a 2002...to wit:

*  Six guardrail posts (6x6" about 5' long) sticking out the trunk--from the dump to my back yard to outline a brick patio

*  a 10'x11' broadloom carpet, folded up in the trunk--with the lid closed

*  the hood, four fenders, two running boards, two headllight buckets, four cowl panels and a wheel from my '48 Fiat Topolino to and from the sand blaster's shop--with the trunk lid closed.  

* a 2002 backlight--along with luggage and a bushel of peaches--from south Georgia back home to Ohio.

*  all the stuff I thought I'd need for a year--uniforms, clothes, tools, spare parts etc when I was called up for Desert Storm and sent to Oklahoma from Ohio.  Packed all the clothes in (clean) trash bags and got everything in the trunk.  Came home with all that stuff plus five alloy wheels I found while in Oklahoma.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I learned that a pair of early seats will fit in the trunk.  They actually fold flat enough to close the lid.

I also learned that it is important to check the height of your tool bag before closing the trunk.  I now have two little bumps on my lid.  

You may be able to haul a lot, but be careful.  Those dents bother me a lot more than they would in my old truck.  Thankfully they are not on the hood, where I would see them while driving.