• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vendor Issues, where do we get parts?

nbristow01

I am in the market for stage 1 springs, sway bars 38/38 carb etc.

I just read a post about some concerns with TEP. I have also read similar posts about IE

So who do you guys recommend to get these aftermarket performance oriented parts from?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

for both small and large orders. Prompt service, correct parts, decent prices.

Tire Rack has good prices on Bilsteins and H&R springs...

There are several sources for Weber carbs, but I haven't bought a new one since 1979...

Check the archives for posts on experiences with various vendors.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Poor experiences with both TEP and IE - they'd have to offer proprietary stuff available nowhere else for me to use them again.

I have had very good experiences with Korman Racing. Their website doesn't list pricing, so you have to call them, but usually you get Ray Korman who knows a lot about these cars and their pricing isn't any worse than anyone else's I've found.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I have bought parts from all of them - IE, Korman, Top End. Hell - I think I've bought parts from everyone that sells BMW parts!

All have been fine. Top end helped me with a water choke on a weber 32/36 that no one (not even Pierce) could help me with. I have their battery relocation kit, and I love it.

IE - I've got their coated header, swaybars and output shafts for the 3.91 LSD. All worked flawlessly. The only "bad" experience was when the urethane left side motor mount they sold me came apart. But - wasn't that bad, since they took the return (weeks afterwards) and refunded my money.

Korman - I bought my Dr. Schrick cam, springs, titanium spring retainers, rockers, etc... from Ray's group. They did overcharge me - but a phone call cleared that up.

So - as others have said - sometimes you have issues. All three, in my opinion, are fine.

Go to where you can get the best deal, or where you can find what you are looking for.

Finally - to round out the list:

Blunt - excellent, 'nuff said. Even though he has forgotten what stock brakes look like on a 2002 (remember that phone conversation Steve? I bet you don't).

Dave Varco - I still owe you for sending the screw that holds the speedometer gear in place - which you sent free of charge. Dave is awesome.

Max - Max does fine. Messed up one or two orders, but, stuff happens. Great catalog.

Bavarian Autosport - usually, only when I am desperate.

Pelican Parts - Wayne has a big catalog, but why buy from him when you could buy from Steve?

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I'd like to add Mesa Performance to this list, Jim Stansfield is a real enthusiast.

http://www.mesaperformance.com/

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Even though they are on the opposite coast from me - both of these companies are excellent to buy from and have great after-sales support. Just be mindful they are busy folks..

Rob Torres @ 2002 Haus in SLO

Carl Nelson @ LaJolla Independent

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I am not sure if I have purchased anything from TEP but they have been around a long time, and the strut braces are nice. I have only had good experience with IE and continue to use them. IE sway bars, IE bushings, IE rockers, rocker arm clamps, reground cam, and a bunch of other internals for my engine. Oh yeah just got the IE silicon hose kit for about 2/3 the Brav Auto price. Also you can call them any time and Jeff or Jeremy will give advice as well.

Like one of the previous posters I too have bought stuff from like 10 vendors including my local BMW dealer!!!

So shop & choose the best deal from the vendor you like & weigh the outcome.

My $.02

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.