• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What rust stop can I spray into doors & hard to reach ar

rdeeble

this is for a daily drive to slow down rust (mostly surface) that is hard to reach like the inside of a door...

i notice the marine industry makes a lot of stuff for boats.

Any advice on which product to use??

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

I've always been curious about Waxoyl but have not ever tried it. I used to use stuff called Rust Extinguisher that came in a bottle whose form factor was like a fire extinguisher. I believe the same product is now sold as CorrosionX. I use the heavy duty version and spray it liberally in holes, crevices, and seams. It's a little bit of a mess as it oozes out, but it eventually stops.

I have not done anything resembling a controlled test of how well it works. I wonder if any magazine has done such a test on these products. Anyone know?

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I used Eastwood's Heavy Duty Anti-Rust... evidently similar to Waxoil... was easy to use, stays in place well after it dries... seems to penetrate the seams well... just clean up the weep holes until it dries.

It's thin enough to where I even put it in a spray bottle and got it behind that gusset along the bottom of the door. Elsewhere on the open areas of the door I used Eastwood's rust encapsulator paint and then stuck sound deadener mat (although there was no rust other than what was previously in the corners of the door... this was done all after body work and paint)

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

RusFre and is made somewhere in PA. Very effective and not expensive. I've had some on my cars for at least 20 years and it's still nice, soft and sticky (get your mind out of the gutter!).

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have just used Rustbullet last month, on frame rails and engine compartment. No long term experience, but like the way it sealed the surface. Paintable/sprayable over rust or paint. It's silver, so the perfect color for a polaris.

Here is the website, with various tests of this product and the competitors:

http://rustbullet.com/

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S