• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Question... To Bumper Or not To Bumper?

Frenchee

I used the search tool but I can't really find a good discussion on whether to use bumpers or not.

I'm taking physics atm and we studied car crashes and honestly, the euro bumper wouldn't do crap in a crash. I'm thinking that since I'm a relatively new driver if I hit something stupid, like a random pole in a parking lot etc would it give less damage to the body having a front bumper or no? I feel that the nose of the 02 is longer than the bumper so it would hit the nose first which wouldn't really give much use to the bumper.

I should probably reword this, how do you guys feel about front bumpers? I'm keeping the back one just cus I like it and I feel like an idiot might rear end me.(I'am aware that you need to have a front bumper when driving but I doubt a cop where I live will be able to tell.)

Last thing, I have been trying to find the air dam that comes with a bumper so I can maybe compromise and have a 2 in 1 without having to see the front bumper.

Yes yes I shouldn't be complaining considering I don't have the huge old diving board bumpers but whatever.

Give me your opinion.

Thanks

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Well if you live in an area where people park by "feel" then its better to have something up front too. Here in japan its not a problem. I've kept my front bumper on for one reason to this point. I drive on rural roads and you never know when a small animal is going to pop up in front of you. It hasn't been a problem yet but in the event that it is I'd rather have the bumper take the hit than the nose.

best,

pete

That makes sense Petey. Yea here I wouldn't say we park to "feel" but its pretty close. The only thing I would hit here is a crazy squirrel,cat,or dog no deer hopping around etc.

Tom, that is why I now name your car Michael Jackson since you are getting a new nose because you hit something haha.

PS: you missed a sweeeet meet today.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Not that I haven't run bumperless in the past and that in my car's current state that it matters much anyway (more worried about the expensive alu grilles) In California you can get a fix-it ticket for not having a bumper installed. I for one like to give them as few reasons to pull me over as I can.

Yes they sure will write that ticket... I was riding with a friend when we got pulled over and he got ticketed for having no front bumper.

BTDT.... 1996 at the Monterey Historic Races featured Marque BMW.... :P

0034163.gif

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

When I lived in California i had no bumper on my 71 2002. I never got bothered by the police, however i did have my grill wrecked. 3 months later my girlfriend admitted that it might have been her that back into me. Grrrr.

Anyhow, my latest 2002, a 1968, i left the bumpers on, thinking that they would save my grill. Unfortunately somebody has still managed to wreck my grill over the Christmas break. Bastards. So the moral of the story is, you get a wrecked grill either way so you might as well take it off, unless you love your bumper in which case keep it on.

Daniel

'68 2002

www.1968bmw2002.blogspot.com

I used the search tool but I can't really find a good discussion on whether to use bumpers or not.

I'm taking physics atm and we studied car crashes and honestly, the euro bumper wouldn't do crap in a crash. I'm thinking that since I'm a relatively new driver if I hit something stupid, like a random pole in a parking lot etc would it give less damage to the body having a front bumper or no? I feel that the nose of the 02 is longer than the bumper so it would hit the nose first which wouldn't really give much use to the bumper.

I should probably reword this, how do you guys feel about front bumpers? I'm keeping the back one just cus I like it and I feel like an idiot might rear end me.(I'am aware that you need to have a front bumper when driving but I doubt a cop where I live will be able to tell.)

Last thing, I have been trying to find the air dam that comes with a bumper so I can maybe compromise and have a 2 in 1 without having to see the front bumper.

Yes yes I shouldn't be complaining considering I don't have the huge old diving board bumpers but whatever.

Give me your opinion.

Thanks

No stock bumper on a 2002 will do anything to protect you over 15mph. Additionally, most cars are taller than 02 bumpers, so it won't matter anyway. In my opinion, it's a question of aesthetics.

That said, I prefer the European bumpers.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

chrome bumpers are essentially a fashion statement with these cars. they are jewelery and virtually ineffective at preventing damage in a collision or even a light tap.

with the cost of aluminum grills these days and the vulnerability of the front nose, one is playing 'russian roulette', when parallel parking a roundie. i avoid parallel parking at all cost.

i recently recieved my former squaretail back and plan on making it my daily driver and will be keeping the big bumpers.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

i recently recieved my former squaretail back and plan on making it my daily driver and will be keeping the big bumpers.

My big'o bumpers saved my rear-end when a kid in a Geo Prism rear-ended me. Granted the bumper was pushed in but the damage to the panels wasn't too bad.

Do agree w/ Clay -- our cars sit low enough that the bumpers will probably end up being unharmed!

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

I like everyones opinion I can really relate. Clay, I agree anything over 15 even under the bumper is useless so its not safety to me its a matter of is the sheet metal going to take more damage with or withouth but from what I see its the same and that makes sense.

A guy I met at a meet this weekend that lives in San Fran keeps his bumpers and has a Hella light on the back because they are crazy drivers in that city and stick to ur ass. Here in San Jose I feel a bit less vulnerable and parrallel parking isnt a must unless ur going to an event of some sort where its crowded.

I have an airdam and it has brackets to fit the european bumpers and if I take the bumper off I might sell the airdam.

WHAT is the point of buying the airdam that comes with a bumper as it isnt much help to have one?\

Where can I find that airdam at?

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

ive got the stock big bumpers on my 74, with the shocks...saved my ass when i was in a 4 car accident and got rear ended, my bros car was totalled, my back bumper was pushed in and my quarters buckled...but it could have been waaay worse... with that said though i dont think euro bumpers would do much in an accident...

1974 2002

My buddy removed his front bumper and used T-Bars (like you see on VW's). This might not do much for any accident but it might allow you to use your existing airdam. If you don't use your airdam let me know, I'm interested.

100_4484.jpg

Holy crap thats going to destroy someones bumper, if they hit u haha!!!

Poke a hole right through!

Okay Ill let you know!

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Yes, your center grill, no matter what bumper you have becomes an expendable item when you park on the street. I leave a bent up one in there, and just straighten it out every so often.

Big bumpers make a HUGE difference in city areas otherwise. My tii spends 1/2 the summer out on the street.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

The bigger concern I would have would be with possible insurance issues. I had a friend years ago in Houston who had removed his front bumper on his 02, and was soon after involved in a front end collision. His insurance company claimed that he had sustained greater damage because of the bumper being removed. Not fun, and he ended up getting less than full coverage for damages. Tread lightly...

Paul Huber

2000 Touring tii in 1/18 scale