• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new wheels but ive got some rubbing up front

BLUNT

wheels were 15x6.5 et34.. the fronts remain that way. i added 1 inch lips to the rear to make them 15x7. they are fine. i can drive it but any serious bumps cause rubbing up front. i think im just too low. i actually have 2 spacers up front stacked just for testing. i need to measure them but one is about a 1/4 inch and one is maybe 1/8th. but ill measure. if i dont have them both im so close to the tie rod end it makes me nervous. i have bent struts and fixed camber plates. other than raising the car what are my options? has anyone ever ground down the tie rod ends to gain a mm? or is that just crazy talk>?? i love the stance but dont want to wreck my fender lips.. they are rolled and tweaked before paint. rears are perfect

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are they rubbing?

What size tires, 205's?

I'd go to 195's but...

GL,

Ray

so i pulled the smaller of the 2 spacers. now im only running an 8mm spacer up front. its better and it appears ill be ok as far as tie rod clearance. i have maybe 2mm clearance there. itll still rub on the tops of the fender lips if i hit a good sized bump. but its much better. im going to use the fender roller again and see if i can tweak them just a tad more. rears are perfect with no rubbing at all. in fact i think i have room back there for the 3mm spacer i took out of the front. i have 195/50's up front and 205/50's in the rear.

for those who asked im on ireland stage 2's with no spring pads anywhere. im running clear vinyl tubing on the 1st coils front and back. i have my struts bent 1.5 degrees and aardvark fixed camber plates up front. im also running 19mm roll spacers up front from Lee....rear subframe bushings are flipped and i have all oe rubber everywhere

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Very Nice....if you are running 205's up front, switch to 195's and you should give yourself a bit of clearance on both sides...Looks AMAZING!!!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Where are they rubbing?

What size tires, 205's?

I'd go to 195's but...

GL,

Ray

so i pulled the smaller of the 2 spacers. now im only running an 8mm spacer up front. its better and it appears ill be ok as far as tie rod clearance. i have maybe 2mm clearance there. itll still rub on the tops of the fender lips if i hit a good sized bump. but its much better. im going to use the fender roller again and see if i can tweak them just a tad more. rears are perfect with no rubbing at all. in fact i think i have room back there for the 3mm spacer i took out of the front. i have 195/50's up front and 205/50's in the rear.

for those who asked im on ireland stage 2's with no spring pads anywhere. im running clear vinyl tubing on the 1st coils front and back. i have my struts bent 1.5 degrees and aardvark fixed camber plates up front. im also running 19mm roll spacers up front from Lee....rear subframe bushings are flipped and i have all oe rubber everywhere

Those wheels look awful on your car and they will never fit correctly. That would be a good reason to sell them to me at a highly discounted price. BTW, what was the deal with the motor mount? RS's are about my favorite wheel. See you in about 10 days.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

I was getting rubbing with 195's in the rear 'til I cut my fender lips (again). Softer springs than you, the car squats under heavy acceleration. Keep an eye out there. Unless you drive like a grandma.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Where are they rubbing?

What size tires, 205's?

I'd go to 195's but...

GL,

Ray

Those wheels look awful on your car and they will never fit correctly. That would be a good reason to sell them to me at a highly discounted price. BTW, what was the deal with the motor mount? RS's are about my favorite wheel. See you in about 10 days.

hi tim, ive realized you just cant run oe rubber mounts with this motor. i tried both rubber and then one poly and one rubber. it was ok at first with a poly drivers mount and a rubber passenger but by the time i got to arkansas my header was banging on my center link really badly under acceleration. im back to all poly now and its fine...i want to fab up an engine stabilizer for the passenger side that we can all use. i wish lee would step up and do it. he has the skills to do it. and i know a lot of guys would buy one. i would be first in line

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Looks to me like you could use more camber up front. Any idea what your alignment looks like at the moment? Maybe it's just the picture.

no its not the picture. you have a good eye. i have 1 degree negative on the alignment specs. i dont understand it because my struts are bent 1.5 neg and i have fixed camber plates also. someone else had this same issue recently too. both sides are equal so i dont think anythings bent

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

im also running 19mm roll spacers up front from Lee

Lee's spacers push the bottom of the strut out, don't they?

They're a great idea, but anything that moves the wheel

out cuts your wheel clearance to the fender.

If it was me, and it ain't, I'd try to find KMAC top strut bushings to

get the strut tops in just a bit. And go to a smaller (2 1/2") spring.

Also, as others have said, 205's a bit on the chubby side. They

didn't work on my car.

But I have coilovers and camber plates at the top.

Looks great, though.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

im also running 19mm roll spacers up front from Lee

Lee's spacers push the bottom of the strut out, don't they?

They're a great idea, but anything that moves the wheel

out cuts your wheel clearance to the fender.

If it was me, and it ain't, I'd try to find KMAC top strut bushings to

get the strut tops in just a bit. And go to a smaller (2 1/2") spring.

Also, as others have said, 205's a bit on the chubby side. They

didn't work on my car.

But I have coilovers and camber plates at the top.

Looks great, though.

t

they are actually 195's up front but point taken. i too thought lees plates would move the strut out but then my head started hurting and i quit thinking about it. i have a fender roller i may play with tonight. see if i can eek out another mm without cracking the paint. thanks

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com