• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering woes..help..

auggiemize

Here's what I have..76 with new tie rods, balljoints, etc, TEP front and rear braces, new HD Bilsteins, new Ireland Stage 1 sport springs. All done by a previous owner, who I know and have no reason to doubt what he did. Steering box was worn out, and bought a "very good used" box from one of "us". My restoration guy, with plenty of 02 experience said that it moved freely with plenty of adjustment left...Problem: When I back out of driveway and make 90 degree turn (either direction), I get a subtle but noticeable clunk, and then car exibits what feels similar to old Subaru torque-steer;i.e., it wants to pull one way or the other, and will continue until I over-correct the other direction enough to "right" whatever is going on. It then handles beautifully on most turns, unless I do a 90ish left or right turn (like a driveway), then have to repeat the process. My guy seemed to think its the steering box, but the old one did same. Coincedence?, I dont think so. The car is a little bit twitchy on uneven pavement, but I assume thats the nature of the suspension set up..couple of friends said worn ball joints, bent suspension member, maybe even an upside down damper arm? I'm not a wrench, some help would be great. Mr Riblett suggested Mr. Williams? Mr. Demarest? Anyone. Much thanks. Sorry such a long post. Will be at the vineyards, but dont like wrestling this much. Dave V. in NC Almost forgot, wheels are standard size Campy's with brand new (15year-old) Michelin MXV2056013's.

the washers or spacers in/around the upper strut bearing being installed incorrectly (upside down or in the wrong order) can cause this problem. If no one chimes in with the details, drop me an e-mail and I'll look it up in my 1979 BMW CCA Tech Tips book...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

steering center link rubbing on trans housing ?

look right under the center of the motor/trans

connection where the steering center link passes

what size tires are on this car ?

and as Mike suggested, and really likely

the cause - washer placement at the top

of the front struts :

02FRONTSPRINGMOUNT.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Tire size at end of first post, pretty much standard. Symptoms only when suspension is loaded, not while on lift. Car is only lowered maybe an inch; not noticeably so. I haven't posted photos here (too lazy/stupid), but could email to someone to post to see that its not a racerboy set up. Great info so far, seems you guys agree that it's probably not the steering box...Much thanks, Dave V.

2 thoughts- strut tops like everyone else

Or something bent/ misassembled at the bottom of the strut so that the

strut- to- arm bolts are hitting the control arm.

I was given a car that had seriously bent control arms- they bound on

those bolts...

It could also be the ball joint, I guess- the loaded/unloaded

condition rules out most of the steering gear (box, ends, track rod etc)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It is amazing the sound one washer can cause.

Look at the center track rod for rubbage as Toby suggests.

A mal adjusted steering box will cause the car not to return to center. But if this happened on the other box, probably not it.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Just to say thanks, and that you guys are the best. The weather was so beautiful today that the wrestling match didn't really matter for forty minutes or so....I crawled under and didn't see anything that looked crooked, upside down, or in a bind or rubbing; so we'll look top-side soon. I can't tell you how much a 53-year-old student appeciates the brain trust on this board. You guys dont maybe know how wonderful it is to ask about a problem, and get straight, honest answers, without getting "the look" from folks that are assessing "what's in your wallet.." Not my new resto guy, by any means, as he's one of the good guys; but anyone want to talk about a famous tuner in east Greensboro, NC...

I look forward to meeting those of you that are going to the Vineyards, and thanks again, Dave V.in NC

So, uhh, there, big spender, what's in your wallet?

heh.

Yeah, sadly, time to take the strut tops apart.

If you can get someone to help you, before you do that,

have them crank the wheel from one side to the other,

and see if you can see if maybe one spring is winding up-

the top should turn along with the bottom.

If you're lucky, you'll see it bind, then pop free. Or not free at all.

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Just a thanks to all who contributed to the cure. Yep, top of strut was buggered by PO. Car drove beautifully to the Vineyards, no wrestling. I'm having proper 02 fun now. Much appreciated. Dave V. in NC

76 Nevada square-butt thanks you all as well...