• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii vs 3.0cs

reichelroque

I'm a previous 2002 owner. It's been a few years and I'm wanting to jump back in. I'm torn between getting a 2002tii or a 3.0cs. I know this is a 2002 forum, but I know a few of you have/had both. Any advice or tips to help make the decision easier??? Thanks in advance!

WTB 1974-1976 Original Anthracite 2002A

2006 X5 4.0i Stratus Gray Metallic "Mimi"

1987 325i Royal Blue Metallic "Rizzo"

2002 330i Black Sapphire "Stella" - sold

1975 2002A Polaris "Herman" - sold

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey C.D. - if we ever meet, I'd like to buy you a beer. Your graphics and archive picture posts are excellent.

I'll vote for the tii because finding a good "not-too-rusty" 3.0cs may be difficult.

Whatever one you choose, buy the best version you can afford.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

just buy a lincoln, either continental or mercury. Or a ford, mustang or impala, or a chevy, camaro or nova, or a dodge, charger or challenger...get the idea? It's a preference thing and the most important opinion is your own!

1969 BMW 2002/2002 MB C32 AMG(FOR SALE)/1998 Mitsubishi Chariot/2001 Nissan March

3.0CS will be harder to find and any parts or work will be much more expensive. Compared to your 2002 experience, they are heavier and larger.

You'll get a lot more attention in the coupe though... They are much rarer than 02s. 2000CS is rarer yet, as fewer have been preserved.

Coupe rust is an even bigger problem than 02s. Interiors are richer, but much more expensive to restore if needed.

Most mechanical stuff is pretty long-lived for both models.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Guest Anonymous
just buy a lincoln, either continental or mercury. Or a ford, mustang or impala, or a chevy, camaro or nova, or a dodge, charger or challenger...get the idea? It's a preference thing and the most important opinion is your own!

Wait till you see the next post: "What color do you think is better? I know some of you have Sahara and that Orangish color?"

I don't know really, but I have never had the urge to test drive a CS, I do admire the looks, they are one of the most beautiful cars BMW ever made. Conversely, there a few tii's I would love to take for a spin. For me it would come down to looks (Sunday drive only) vs fun (every day).

I know me, and I think there are some cars that they are just too beautiful to drive every day - I know is wrong, but that is the natural tendency. If I had a ten car garage, and independently wealthy, I would be here asking the same question!

FAQ Member # 91

Guest Anonymous
A CS is an Autobahn cruiser. Very comfortable and excellent for long trips, you can drive 150 mph without a sweat.

You must be spending too much time at the Koffee shops in the area. Autobahn cruiser? Yes. 150mph and without a sweat? Not in any of the stock Eurospec coupes I have owned or driven and doubtful it can be accomplished safely without ground effects. Do you also go by the name P Gregg? or N Lauda?

What are your plans with an early BMW, a daily driver or weekend cruiser? How deep are your pockets? A E9 coupe is a rich man's toy. They rust easily (much more than an 02), coupe restoration is not for the faint of heart (and pocketbook). Finding a nice rust free restored E9 or tii will easily set you back quite a bit. Here is a price on a restored 74 2002 and it's not a tii model. http://www.coupeking.com/product_id-312.html A restored E9 coupe will set you back even more. A coupe is a car that you only would like to drive on weekends and sunny days but an 02 is a car you can drive every day (as long as you don't live in the snow belt). A coupe back seat isn't practical for anyone except small kids. One tii ownership issue is finding a mechanic to work on the Kugelfischer injection system. It's old school and having a mechanic who is familiar with it is worth its weight in gold. Even finding a mechanic these days who can work on a carb is getting harder to find.

I own a tii and a E3 and have owned several early BMW's with a M30 motor. I recommend that you get an 02 and then buy a E3 Bavaria. It's the same drive train as the coupe and only 50 lbs heavier. I agree it's not as sexy as the coupe but the E3 is the bargain of old BMW's. You can pick them up cheap and they don't rust like the coupe does. You can even haul all of your friends around in a Bavaria. Just my .02 cents worth

http://seniorsix.org/photos/otherimages/bmw2800_fromBMWAG_b.jpg

G-Man

70 E3 2800 (Euro spec)

74 2002tii (many mods)

81 528i (Euro spec)

3 E30's and a 96 4Runner parts hauler

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner