• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Megasquirt Option

ClayW

Dynatek Racing makes a, EFI throttle body that looks like a Weber 48 IDA. They also accept a range of injectors, so says Dynatek. Of course, the IDA is a downdraft and doesn't match the bolt pattern of a DCOE, but the upside is that EFI throttle bodies don't need to be in a particular position to work. If you could fabricate the manifold, you could have a pretty cool, stealth EFI system that looks like a pair of sidedrafts.

P61502401.jpg

So, who wants to try this one?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

32/36 or 38/38...now that would be the trick for us semi-Luddites that don't want to go whole hog with individual port injection but would like the convenience and smooth running of EFI...and keep the car looking stock.

Has anyone every tried adapting a TBI system from an Omni/Horizon or small GM car of the same era with a +/- 2 liter engine?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

32/36 or 38/38...now that would be the trick for us semi-Luddites that don't want to go whole hog with individual port injection but would like the convenience and smooth running of EFI...and keep the car looking stock.

Has anyone every tried adapting a TBI system from an Omni/Horizon or small GM car of the same era with a +/- 2 liter engine?

mike

Good idea.

I thought about gutting a Solex to make it a throttle body, and then welding in injector bungs on the underside of the stock manifold.

Here's a Horizon TBI unit on eBay for $25. Might be worth fabricating an adapter for.

7a_1_b.JPG

Here's a Fiero 2.5L TBI unit:

111950792_tp.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I have an aquaintance in Denver thru MomarEFI that makes a throttle body for flat head Fords that uses two modern standard injectors. I could put anyone interested in contact with him. You would have to discuss the design for a throttle body to duplicate a Weber dimensions. All other EFI parts used are same i.e. fuel pressure and pump, filter, regulator, ECU, etc.

Momar's site is http://www.momarefi.com/

The flathead TBI is not sold by them, but Charlie's Bonneville series is.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Fuel injected Dodge Omni's used a TB that bolted on the intake many that they also used for the Holly carb'd model. The Holy carb was a rough copy of the 32/36 Webber. They have the same bolt pattern. The Omni TB has one big injector. I think this would be a trick setup under a stock air filter.

MMwwwwwaaahhhahahahaha!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

At the recent SoCal BMW get together, Ireland had a TWM DCNF ( twin 40mm downdraft) F.I. throttle body bolted to a 2002 downdraft manifold with a special adapter. Jeremy told me it was being tested to see if it works or not. Seems like a VERY good idea!

David

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Fuel injected Dodge Omni's used a TB that bolted on the intake many that they also used for the Holly carb'd model. The Holy carb was a rough copy of the 32/36 Webber. They have the same bolt pattern. The Omni TB has one big injector. I think this would be a trick setup under a stock air filter.

MMwwwwwaaahhhahahahaha!

John

You may be on to something. Here's a link to a 1988 Dodge Omni TBI for $100:

http://www.everdrive.com/skus/FD/869329-1988-DODGE-OMNI-Throttle-Body.htm

FD.jpg

Two injectors though....which actually works out. Someone should bite the bullet on this one (sorry, my car is in Texas and I am not!) and buy a throttle body gasket to check the fit. It would be pretty easy to hide the unit under a stock air cleaner.

I'm sure that the 318i manifold would provide better performance, but it would be really nice to have the option of a TBI unit for a LOT less hassle for a Megasquirt setup, which is batch fire anyway! Think about it; no bypass tube, no water neck change-out, no fuel-rail or injector housing.

Please, someone try this!

ClayW

but... but.. but...

throttle bodies are a step backwards!

And we already have the 318 manifold and plumbing premade for us....

I guess if you have to, you could, but... it just doesn't seem exciting...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

but... but.. but...

throttle bodies are a step backwards!

And we already have the 318 manifold and plumbing premade for us....

I guess if you have to, you could, but... it just doesn't seem exciting...

t

Yes, yes, yes. I was just looking for a few options for those who want a vintage/stock look under the hood.

ClayW

but... but.. but...t

True that it won't work as well as a 318i intake, but it still will work well..... maybe..

Think of the best downdraft carb setup you have driven. Also think of it under the stock air filter and maybe even a crank triggered ignition hidden down there. Now add a ported head built by Eric Kerman, with a light cam (284?), S14 crank. Old Street Metric Mechanic swaybar, Ireland stage 1 springs, Billy HD's, Stock steel wheels or other skinny 13 inch alloys...

I digress.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades