• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wheel rubbing.. what to do?

752dbl02

I just put a set of E30 Basketweaves on my 75 2002. they are 195/60/14 and they rub really bad on the strut towers at the top on both sides.

Suspension wise, i have Koni adjustables and H&R springs.

I know that Ireland Engineering sells spacers in different increments, their largest being 3/4 of an inch then 1/4 to 1/8.

Has anyone else had this problem??

Does anyone else run spacers on their cars with basketweaves, and if so what size?

Im bummin really bad...finally got the tires in and now they rub...and bad.

'75 2002

Photobucket

I've found the '02 is a but funky when it comes to fitment of wider wheels/tires in a lowered car (what works in front won't always work in the back, and vice-a-versa). I've got a set each of 13x6 BBS weaves and Vials on the shelf because they don't fit my car (running 205/60 13)

If you go with spacers, check that you'll have enough thread left on the studs for the lugs (I believe Ireland carries longer thread-in studs as used in their race cars)

-K

I've NEVER gotten a set of 195-60 or 65 width tires to fit a 2002 when mounted on the E30 BBS wheels.

I've had great luck with 185/60-14 with lowered suspension. The overall diameter is a wee bit smaller - so it might look silly without a lowered suspension - but it beats spacers / longer studs / wheel rub IMHO.

With a lowered suspension - it's ultra nice! (or as the hotrodders say: "It's Tits")

My advice: Sell your 195s to an E30 driver in need! (three months ago - it would have been me!)

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I'm running spacers with my "14 Panasports. IE Big brakes, Inverted Bilsteins. No problems except Discount Tire guys wig out when the find them when I get my tires balanced. They won't put the wheels back on. I have to go in there and do it and sign a waiver. LOL dweebs

I'm running spacers with my "14 Panasports. IE Big brakes, Inverted Bilsteins. No problems except Discount Tire guys wig out when the find them when I get my tires balanced. They won't put the wheels back on. I have to go in there and do it and sign a waiver. LOL dweebs

LOL. thats hilarious.

what size spacers are you running, and what size tires? do you have longer wheel studs?

i priced out 3/8 in. spacers and longer wheel studs and the total came out to be $236.00! yikes. But i just wanted to make sure that these parts are gonna be what fixes my rubbing problem.

Thanks for your Feedback.

Chris

'75 2002

Photobucket

....and Chris - what exactly is the size and

offset numbers on your wheels ?

'just'/'touching' - rubbing during HARD cornering?

leaving a very light mark on the inner sidewall of the tire?

or is the tire hard against something and it doesn't turn freely ?

tell us what the gap is between the tie-rod end and inner sidewall of the tire also - please

02steeringstrutbearings.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

....and Chris - what exactly is the size and

offset numbers on your wheels ?

'just'/'touching' - rubbing during HARD cornering?

leaving a very light mark on the inner sidewall of the tire?

or is the tire hard against something and it doesn't turn freely ?

tell us what the gap is between the tie-rod end and inner sidewall of the tire also - please

02steeringstrutbearings.jpg

c.d.-

After i put them on last night at my local shop, i drove home and i had noticed a rubbing sound but the car still seemed to roll o.k., so i thought nothing really of it, but when i checked inside the wheel well when i got home, i noticed that the top inside edge of the tire at its widest point, is rubbing on the strut tower, and it is rubbing all the time, leaving a slight mark on the inside of the tire just as you described. Its actually rubbing right where the bmw roundel is stamped into the tower. The short time it rubbed, it cleaned off all the dirt and made the logo visible again. I didn't look at the space between the wheel and the tire rod end, so i will have to check on that and report back to you.

Im at school right now and the car is at home, so i cant go out and look right this second, but the measurements off of 2002parts.com show that the offset is ET30 and measuring from where the bead of the tire seats, not the overall width/diameter of the rim is, width= 6.5 inches and the diameter is of course 14in.

Theoretically, spacers and longer wheel studs sound like it should fix the problem, but i have just read other 02ers posts saying that they run 195/60/14 on basketweaves and have no problem with rubbing except in hard turning in parking lots.

Is there any other fix, that may be a tic less expensive?

Thanks C.D.,

Chris

'75 2002

Photobucket

contact Vick Racing in Fort Worth and see what pricing he has on spacers. I'm using like 3/4 inch spacers running 19560r14 tires with "14 Panasports. When I bought my Panasports from Vick Racing , the combination of my big brakes and Inverted Bilsteins made custome made offset Panasports unfeasable. I needed basically the same offset of a "14 Bottlecap. Spacers is what they suggested. 10k miles no issues. I am using IE wheel studs so there's plenty of thread. PS I called a Discount Tire tech a puss for not re installing my tires. He really wigged out.

a cut-off wheel with some old VW rabbit rotors will do the trick:

DSC02537.JPG

I wouldn't worry about extended studs....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,291219/highlight,rabbit+rotor+spacers/

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

unless you run a spacer...

the E30 wheels are already thicker, and if you have less than about

8mm (6 turns) of lugnut engagement (heh heh)

then you may find your new tires pulling out to

pass you as you head on down the highway.

I bet you can get away with a thin (3/16") spacer

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

t

which is pretty close to what i suggested. the rabbit rotor spacers are about 0.2" thick.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

unless you run a spacer...

the E30 wheels are already thicker, and if you have less than about

8mm (6 turns) of lugnut engagement (heh heh)

then you may find your new tires pulling out to

pass you as you head on down the highway.

t

Sounds like the studs may still be needed. If in fact i am going to need them, whether it be with the fabricated spacers or ones that i end up having to buy from IE, what size do the studs need to be (Length wise)?

contact Vick Racing in Fort Worth and see what pricing he has on spacers. I'm using like 3/4 inch spacers running 19560r14 tires with "14 Panasports. When I bought my Panasports from Vick Racing , the combination of my big brakes and Inverted Bilsteins made custome made offset Panasports unfeasable. I needed basically the same offset of a "14 Bottlecap. Spacers is what they suggested. 10k miles no issues. I am using IE wheel studs so there's plenty of thread. PS I called a Discount Tire tech a puss for not re installing my tires. He really wigged out.

Ahaha. That amazes me that they would get that freaked out over wheel spacers... but then again, it is Discount Tire.

'75 2002

Photobucket

how are your ball joints and wheel bearings? When the front end is off the ground and steering locked, can you wiggle the wheels in any direction?

i'm not sure if some extra play there would lead to your rubbing, but something seems odd. I've been runnin 195-60-14s as well on E30 BBS wheels for quite some time... i've gone 205 and 215 as well sometimes... in all kinds of other setups...

Bring a Welder

My wheel bearings could be a cause; the wheels do seem to have a slight amount of play in them, but i would think that the little play they do have would cause the tires to rub this bad.

Any way to tell for sure if it is the ball joints? and how much and how hard are they to replace?

And how low is your car Kfunk? Before i had a set of '13 wheels with 205/60/13 tires on them, and it was very close, but they didnt rub besides during hard turning.

Thanks for everyones feed back.

Chris

'75 2002

Photobucket