• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NORTHWEST MACHINE SHOP??

joyjuice

Also consider Autosport in Seattle. They recently rebuilt my head, 3 helicoils, one crack and an overhaul for under eight hundred.

Auto Sport in Downtown did my bottom end and flywheel. I didn't find them to be very cheap, but I did find them to be SUPER professional and knowledgeable. I still call there from time to time with questions.

They are living encyclopedia's of car knowledge there, but O2s are a specialty of theirs.

Another vote for Autosport. They didnt seem all that organized when I went there, but they rebuilt my Volvo head when no one else could. Very knowledgeable and helpful too. These are real car guys here.

Another vote for Brad and Johnnie. They know their stuff.

Mike Kolbet at Accurate Machine in Kirkland is very good, too-

he has done both race heads and a racing bottom end for me.

I think we're forgetting a good shop in Tacoma, though...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Another vote for Autosport, not just for the fantastic machine work and service- But I buy all my parts from them as well. Brad and Jonnie know just about everything about 2002s and will gladly share knowledge with any one who is interested, the down side (not really) I can NEVER get out of there in less than 20 mins - but I always leave enlightened.

also, for the quality and care they provide, I feel their prices reasonable

-mike

sometimes owning a 2002 can actually get you out of a speeding ticket( 2 and counting)

1976 2002

1978 320i (for parts)

1997 M3 sedan

Well, Scott at Delta Cams will grind you a nice bumpstick,

but that's about the only Tacoma connection I have.

PM Auto out in Shelton's reputed to be excellent-

they did the first head on the race car, and it is very pretty.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

PM is a good shop

lotsa stuff to look at when you're there checking up on progress and stuff

Steve is an ex-tii guy and they flat out know 2002's

Jacks's Machine shop in Tacoma is a friend whose done a lot of work for me over the years and is a great guy.

253-572-0900

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

• 12 years later...

My son and I are doing a restomod on my 73 tii, and it's time to get serious about engine rebuilding.  Do any of you have current PNW recommendations for a good and reputable shop for this work?  We're working out the specs for the build, but hope to get sporty. 

Still recommend Autosport they, have moved to the west side of the Ballard bridge but still offer the same service not the cheapest but jonnie and brad do know the m10.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 1/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, GmanWhidbey said:

My son and I are doing a restomod on my 73 tii, and it's time to get serious about engine rebuilding.  Do any of you have current PNW recommendations for a good and reputable shop for this work?  We're working out the specs for the build, but hope to get sporty. 

If you’re sticking with the stock Kugelfischer pump and system, there’s a lot of history on this forum regarding the use of the stock camshaft on tii’s: most tii techs and owners — including ‘02 “tuners”, such as Korman — have “discovered” that the factory matched the Kugelfischer perfectly to the stock 264 camshaft. When, for instance, Alpina installed a more aggressive camshaft, they always adapted the pump to the new camshaft grind.

And unless you’re modding the Kugelfischer to match another camshaft, e.g., 292, 304, there’s usually a price to pay — flat spots, roughness, AFR inconsistencies — for upgrading the camshaft without concomitant modification of the Kugelfischer. On the other hand, now that Kugelfischer MFI is a fifty-year-old antique, there are fewer shops that thoroughly understand how the Kugelfischer interacts with valve timing and duration, and are thus able to modify Kugelfischer pumps appropriately.

The 292’s and 304’s that we commonly use with engine mods such as dual sidedrafts are, accordingly, much rarer in Kugelfischer MFI applications.

Although you didn’t ask for feedback on your build, I’m remiss to not offer my two cents, since I don’t yet know your ‘02 history: I’ve been an ‘02 owner continuously since 1973. Others here have been owners considerably longer. And many forum members are techs, with amazing experience on ‘02’s!

The knowledge on this forum, I must admit, blows me away each and every day I log on. Use that wisdom, and build on it.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)