HarryPR

Got my car back from the upholstery shop

28 posts / 1225 viewsLast Reply

Still have to install some items, but the upholstery work is done. I also have to paint the thigh support handles and a couple more bits and pieces. The seats have a few creases which the guy who did it says should go away as the material conforms to the seats' shape.

Here are some pics:

BEFORE

2002interiorbefore.jpg

2002interiorbefore2.jpg

AFTER

02interior007.jpg

02interior008.jpg

02interior003.jpg

02interior005.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics. A combination of a bad photographer with an old camera.

Guest Anonymous

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Ok now make SURE that you wipe your feet and wash your hands BEFORE you get in!!!

Ok now make SURE that you wipe your feet and wash your hands BEFORE you get in!!!

Shoes off at the door please :)

Looks real nice.

Hamada

Are those map pockets? or covers for old speaker holes.

Leather ?

Big improvement- nice work!

The map pockets are from a 2002Lux. Got these from Edgar Butler some time ago for a very reasonable price.

The car's door panels didn't have any speaker holes, but the color wasn't an exact match with the seats, so I had the original vinyl carefully removed and the panels were recovered. BTW it's all top quality leather-look vinyl. Highly recommended.

The carpets are a wool blend bought from this ebay vendor:

http://stores.ebay.com/norwoodenterprises864

The upholstery guy was very impressed with the carpet's quality and the price for a 5 yard roll is cheap. Definitely recommended. The only problem is that it has a thick backing which is going to make it difficult to install the gas pedal.

Oh, Tim, about the steering wheel: It is, as you suspect, a fine-spline wheel. My buddy who built the local M2 with sidedrafts is a very talented tool and die maker. He custom-built two steering shafts with fine splines back when we were doing our cars and gave one to me.

Total cost was $575.00 plus the $50 I paid for the roll of carpet. Not bad, right?

$575 ?!?!

that is amazing.

i will be surprised if my rear seats don't cost more that $1k to redo.....

pls. tell me about the door panels....new fiber-board underneath or just a cover.

did they say it was tricky to do?

cheers and congrats.

t

The door panels have new fiberboard. Bought them from an 02 owner from Orlando, FL that had purchased them from World Upholstery and was not going to use them.

I would've bought the ones Dave Varco sells, but shipping from California to Puerto Rico is very expensive.

The upholstery guy works out of his home and has no employees. No significant overhead to speak of keeps his prices down. Found out about him from my buddies at the local British car club. He does very nice tops for their MGB's for $375 installed.

$575. is very good. I was recently quoted $1,200. to do just the front and back seats in my car, in black vinyl.

I said thanks, but no thanks.

wow very nice harry. even nicer after seeing the price. what a bargain. theres some e21 parts on their way to your daughters in atlanta by the way