• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumb idea? Driving an 02 cross country

Wise-Man

Okay, I'm starting to have reservations about driving my 72 02 cross country. CA - NY. I leave in a couple of days. The car has been in the shop for some time getting various things fixed and looked at. But, this is a new car to me and I'm not sure how wise it is to embark on a trip across the US w/o knowing the car well. Also, I only have about 6 days. Thats about 10hrs/day.

I did it in my last car a few times. But that 02 I knew very very well.

I can say that the engine is in good shape. Tune up, valve job and timing chain just replaced. "new" drive shaft. Clutch is in good shape and has had attention. Oil pump new. Cooling system totally replaced. New points and distributor, plugs and wires. Suspension is in good shape. New tie rods and some misc bushings and mounts where needed. Has a weber w/ unknown miles on it but seems to work fine. Alternator is working fine but w/ unknown miles on it. Brakes work fine, just replaced the fluid and were checked. Trany and rear end seem to work fine and it shifts smoothly.

Fuel pump is original.

(famous last words) What could go wrong?

Chris

--------------------

1972 '02 Riviera

1972 '02 Charmonix (Deceased)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Bamboo -- 4 SALE

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro S-Line Silver

Guest Anonymous

Whatever,

Fill the tank up, put some extra octane booster in your gas, pack a cooler. Get some basic tools, an alternator belt, coolant, oil ,and a flashlight ( the kind from target that winds up a needs no batteries)....And maybe some 02 members #'s along your course...Then go for it...It will be a good good story or a good bad story.

My vote is go for it...

ira

Just go for it.

Just be comfortable with yourself that you can figure out what to do if the worst happens. Post up your route and get phone numbers of 02ers near your path.

Maybe be ready to hide out in a tent for a few days till a part arrives at a local store, or something like that. Doubt you'll need to do that, though.

If the worst happens, such as motor blowing up or car is badly wrecked, then ya find a place to stash it and come up with a shipment plan, and grab a bus ticket for yourself. But really, probably not gonna happen.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Guest Anonymous

Whatever,

Fill the tank up, put some extra octane booster in your gas, pack a cooler. Get some basic tools, an alternator belt, coolant, oil ,and a flashlight ( the kind from target that winds up a needs no batteries)....And maybe some 02 members #'s along your course...Then go for it...It will be a good good story or a good bad story.

My vote is go for it...

ira

Sounds like you have a good car to begin with that is getting attention it needs.

I'd bring some electrical tape, duct tape, picture hanger wire, a set of points, plugs, zip ties, flash light, and a small container of screws, nuts, bolts, washers that are 02 friendly. Make sure you have a small tool kit with you (screw drivers, sockets, box ends) in common metric sizes.

I've used all of the above to get myself out of all sorts of interesting small breakdowns.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

The real question is What bad things will happen if you're delayed a day or two? There's no question that most modern cars are inherently more reliable than an old bimmer or any other old car for that matter.

If you take reasonable precautions, like taking an emergency kit like others have suggested, the risk is minimal. You're already off to a good start by having the car checked out.

See Zenon's website, he's posted or linked to a list of '02 things to bring when traveling.

I'd do it, if it wasn't absolutely essential that I arrive on a particular date or time.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

I will be the dissenting voice here: with the bargains to be had on flights these days (even on short notice) and the really unpredictable weather these last coupla months (tornadoes, storms, floods), why not tuck that baby away for some great spring/summer rides and see how it does locally before putting it to a 3k+ mile test? If something DOES go wrong, you MAY have to ship it home, get a hotel, get transportation home, and possibly spend big $ on repairs. I vote to wait until YOUR comfort level is where it needs to be for an adventure like this. In the end, you're gonna do what your heart says, though. You got a BUNCH of east coast events coming up to build up that comfort level this spring/summer.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Be like Nike. Just do it! I love road trips! ! ! !

I envy you. Sounds like a great trip to me. Kfunk's blog has a similar route. In fact if you are going from the LA area, google maps has you headed the way he went.....and right by his place. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=los+angeles,+ca&daddr=new+york+city,+ny&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.939885,59.238281&ie=UTF8&ll=37.370157,-96.152344&spn=32.824314,59.238281&z=4

In 2002 I drove my '72 from Little Rock to Spartanburg for 02-02-02. Just a few months after I bought it. It had the original engine & tranny and made the trip without much of a problem. I did have the voltage regulator go out but picked one up when I got there. One of the guys I met up with in Nashville simply jumpered the alternator to get me along.

That trip is what sold me on these cars. I drove 70-90 mph and still got 30 mpg! (It had a 32/36 Weber on it)

I've since sold it and am looking forward to driving to the Vintage in the Vineyards this May. I am even brave enough to take my wife if she will go with me.

Like someone said previously, tell us what your route is, when you are leaving and what your planned itinerary is, and we will all be sending you cell numbers and will answer the call if it comes. Need a place to sleep? Let us know. This is a great community.

Cheers,

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

The longest distance I have driven my 02 is 200 miles so I can't comment on the 02 part but I have driven some of my antique cars for 1000s of miles without incident. In addition to basic tools and a few spare parts I carry

1) cellphone

2) AAA card

3) credit card

With those things I am pretty adventurous - even with two kids along for the ride

GO FOR IT!

I definitely second rx8rotary's advice on the essentials.

I know this is a 2002 forum, and I do have one now and have had two others in the past, but a couple of years ago my wife and I bought a 1960 Cadillac Sedan de Ville from a guy in Tennessee. We tried for weeks to get three different trucking companies to ship it to Southern California. I finally got pissed and bought two one way tickets, for about the same price it would have cost to have the car shipped. Flew back, drove it around a bit decided to just drive it home. Went to WalMart bought some flares, coolant, water, the battery charger/booster thing. It was one of the coolest things we have done. Made it back with no problems in three days.

You might want to upgrade your AAA to premium before you leave though. Just in case.

Paul

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left

O=00=O

Kfunk did it, you can do it too! What an adventure. ( You are naturally obliged to post pictures and text of your trip like he did. ) It was fascinating reading for us all. I have driven mine from here to Hermann, MO; to Shaker Village, KY; to Winston-Salem, NC (X2); & to Watkins Glen, NY. Worst thing that ever happened?? -- my wiper blade fell off at 65 MPH on the way back from Watkins Glen! No breakdowns, no engine meltdowns in my travels. Mine is not a restored/overhauled gem either, but more of a survivor w/loads of attention & $$ since July of 2003. Yes, they're aged now, but they are super-reliable once you get them to a certain state of roadworthiness. Besides we are strung out all over this nation, eager to help you out and cheer you on your way. You will find a warm welcome here if you pass through my vicinity....

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Go for it, I drove my former fjord 02 across country and that was a lot of fun. This time of year, I recommend you take the southern route. March snow storms in KS and CO are not uncommon. Try taking I-81 from PA down to I-40 in TN and then go across country on I-40. Another good route is I-70 to St. Louis, and then I-44 to OKC and then I-40 across country. In OK, old US 66 is now SH 66, it parallels I-44 and I-40 and its great therapy to get off the interstate and take the back roads. Take lots of pictures and post your progress as you go across country

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner