• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Filter Choice??

Guest Anonymous

• 9 months later...

Newbie (to BMW 2002) resurrecting an old thread here...

Here are some part numbers I have found. I'm hoping someone can fill in the blanks:

FRAM PH3816 -- but I would never use a FRAM, see below.

MAHLE OC25

WIX 51374

MANN W7126

ACDELCO PF2123

STP ?????

PUROLATOR ????

I'd really like to find the STP and PUROLATOR, because these are most often available at the places I shop.

As for FRAM, their qualities are endlessly debated at bobistheoilguy.com. Most people detest FRAM, and I had an experience last year which made me detest them as well.

Most filters will hang in there and filter oil for 3000 miles, FRAM included. But that's not the whole story. Some will filter for 10K miles. But the anti-drainback valve on many FRAMs is garbage. On a new FRAM in my VW 1.8T, I would get 30 seconds of rattle on each cold startup. Switch to a Purolator, no noise. I frequently cut filters open. Trust me, FRAM is not worth your money. There are better options at a better price.

'75 BMW 2002

from your favorite import parts vendor and have them in stock for the next oil changes.

Steve AKA "Blunt" here can help. I also use a buddy, Steve Haygood, for great service & OEM parts pricing:

www.stevehaygood.com

770-468-7785

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 9 years later...
On 2/7/2018 at 3:40 AM, 2002Scoob said:

Bringin' this puppy back from the dead! This thread is 10 years old. haha.

Maybe it just takes a while to reach the other side of the world?  I mean, sometimes the internet is pretty slow here, too...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:53 AM, snowy said:

This is all old lady talk. Just go with Mann or Mahle. Why bother to double post like page 2? Americans, go figure.

And if you thought we were little old ladies 10 years ago, you should see us now....?  Aussies, go figure!  

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)