• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage '02 (and others) at the 'Ring . . .

f1reverb

The Nurburgring Historics races are held every year in early August. This year its being held 10-13 August. Every 02 enthusiast has to make a pilgramge to the Nurburgring Historics some time in thier life, it's like nothing else I've been to.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Sweet! Gotta love the pic with two wheels off the ground, I bet they did that every lap!

"Collective nouns for pigs: a drift,team or herd of pigs; when a group is being moved they are a drove of pigs; young ones are a litter, a farrow of piglets, a sounder of wild pigs, a passel of hogs, a group of boars is singular."

so it's worth poking around at the site. The Paul Berger section is where most of these linked pics are from.

Some observations: I haven't seen many Glas/1600gt racing pics. The '02 on the jack photo looks like suicide to me. Some weird lighting brackets on these cars. The damaged '02 with the pig-cheeks gives you an idea of what they cut for the flares, and what looks to be a very nice diff.

One other thing on the pig-cheeks: I've been looking at them for decades and only just realized they are designed to be used on an '02 with bumpers. They are really a street item, not a racing item, unless there was some class of racing that mandated bumpers back then (rally maybe). I guess Alpina had to comply with the TUV bumper regs for their street performance cars at that time and never made a racing version of the front flares without the bumper recess. The front flare bumper indentations have always looked slightly weird to me.

One other thing on the pig-cheeks: I've been looking at them for decades and only just realized they are designed to be used on an '02 with bumpers. They are really a street item, not a racing item, unless there was some class of racing that mandated bumpers back then (rally maybe).

Jay, you are correct about the bumpers being used with the flares for race and rally cars. These cars (Group 2, I believe,) must maintain their "street legal equipment," including bumpers.

However, the wheels and tires had different limits for width than stock. As I recall, the flares were made to comply with a rule requiring the wheels and tires to remain inside the bodywork. The wheel arches did not need to remain stock, so the ballooned "pig cheek" flares were added on.

It's unlikely that Alpina, Schnitzer, et. al. would be making fender flares to be used exclusively on street cars. The TUV back in the 70s was pretty strict about approving modifications of any sort. "Pig cheek" flares would have gotten a lot of scrutinizing from officials.

I recall seeing a Turkis squaretail 2002 with roll cage, box flares, racing seats and modular BBS wheels on a back street in Munich when I was on vacation in 1974. The car was less than a year old. I told my German friend Thomas about it and he said it must have belonged to someone "quite important."

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com