• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polaris!

dubois

We finally shot the Alpina today! We all agreed on the color, it matches the polaris that we could find in the few hidden places. I am happy that it looks bright yet vintage, with a hint of gray and the flop towards yellow, almost unnoticeable. Colors are this level are very personal, and subjective. It is as close as one can get to "original". We used AutoColor clear which is high body (read: thick), but it settles and levels itself, so almost no orange to cut.

The goal "was" to finish it before Palo Alto, but one thing leads to another, and now instead of simply repainting, I would feel guilty if I don't change, clean, repaint or polish some of the hardware.

It looks like this one will remain in my stable for another five years! I can't wait to take it to Quien Sabe Rd and put a couple chips in the hood!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

A picture of before

FAQ Member # 91

Very nice Michael! And your attitude as always, is refreshing... I can't wait to see it in person...

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Oooooooooooo...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Are you going to need an assembly party or are you going to use that as some late night therapy.

Laura, brew the coffee.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

What a sight! I know it's been a long time coming. You must be so thrilled. Good work my friend, congratulations.

It reminds me that Polaris is the original color of my '02... Hmmm...

Davin (who was in SF)

London, England

1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe

Pressin' on regardless . . .

I can't wait to take it to Quien Sabe Rd and put a couple chips in the hood!

Spoken like a man who owns an autobody shop.

Look GREAT!

Hi Michael,

Man it is looking great!!!! I also can't wait to see how it is going to come out. I'm sure you are going to keep it now....right!!!!! Looks like it is going to be ready for the Palo Alto show.

I drove the Touring today.....I love it....I again have second thoughts about selling it....sh....t, it is too nice.

PS: How are you doing Jason?

Best regards

Jan

That's lovely - I'm so looking forward to returning my 1600-2 from the current chamonix back to it's original Polaris. In the jam of the boot some of the white has flaked away to reveal a large patch of the original paint in unmolested condition, perfect for a match.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

It is hard to know when to stop!

Polaris is my all time favorite color on an 02. I wish I was discerning enough to notice the subtle differences in color like you body guys.

Nice job as always. I want to drive QS someday.....

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

(nt)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20