• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think we need to approach Mobile Traditions....

albawhore

I am in the middle of a bare metal nut and bolt build and I am having a real "counseling" moment with removing the sticker on the drivers door.

The car was originally Amazonas and we are going with Anthrazite grau or maybe Polaris. I want desperately to exorsize the sticker but I also desperately want it there.

I think we should approach Mobile Traditions as a group and ask them for repro's.

If they are willing to give us card stock "Certificates" for our cars for ~50 euros why shouldn't they reproduce the mint stickers for us?

Maybe this should be a poll.

Please chime in,

I will be happy to get beaten down by the factory I am just curious how much support I have.

Happy o2ing

Justin

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

Esty,

Don't you think that if all they need is a VIN # and proof for a $100 certificate they should be able to give us a factory correct sticker for the mint date info.

I would be happy to pay $10 for the real deal.

Actually probably the only reason that I am forcing my son to look at BMW colors only is because of the stickers.

He wants a Chevy aluminum V-6 and a GMC truck color.

I told him that I would do that to any e21/e30 he wanted, but there is no f'ing way I would do it to an o2.

Justin

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

Esty,

Don't you think that if all they need is a VIN # and proof for a $100 certificate they should be able to give us a factory correct sticker for the mint date info.

I would be happy to pay $10 for the real deal.

Actually probably the only reason that I am forcing my son to look at BMW colors only is because of the stickers.

He wants a Chevy aluminum V-6 and a GMC truck color.

I told him that I would do that to any e21/e30 he wanted, but there is no f'ing way I would do it to an o2.

Justin

about the stickers...i totally agree

about the son's BMW

a V-6 might be a lot of fun in an e21...

I'm in the same boat. Hi! (waving) Over here!

My drivers door got some damage in my crash last summer. We bolted on another door to keep things straight and running. I saved the drivers door for the main reason of repairing the door (hours) to keep the damn sticker.

I am also in the same boat (waving again) for my E30 M3. I'd like to eventually repaint, but I want to keep all the VIN stickers on the body panels that show they are original.

Thought just crept in: If they won't make it, we'll have to.

I'd sacrafice one of my stickers if I knew it was to be used in the cloning process.

Go Team Venture!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The "old trick" was to warm up the metal behind the sticker with a 100 watt bulb, then carefully peel the sticker from the door.

I removed a gold side stripe from a John Player Special Lotus Elan S2 back in the early eighties using a hair dryer.

The bigest problem is getting the first corner to lift from the surface that it's stuck to.

Best part of all this: with a bit of patience, you can stick the thing right back down on your new door and smooth it out with a plastic squeegee and a hair dryer.

The worst part of this: if, for whatever reason, you have little hair, you might arouse suspicion when you ask you wife or significant other, "Honey, where's the hair dryer?"

Good Luck!

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

sticker. When I was doing a repaint back in the 90s, I discovered the drivers door wasn't the original door (black primer on the inside, and a part number paper sticker were the giveaways. Since I bought it from the original owner, got all the original paperwork and found no evidence that it had been replaced while he owned it, I could only surmise that the damage had occurred in shipping and the door was replaced either by the importer at the make-ready facility, or by the dealer. And they didn't install a new sticker on the replacement door...

The trick with the stickers would be to duplicate the little punchouts that were used to create the numbers...

mike

PS--the older cars never had 'em to begin with...not sure when they started doing that...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

can anyone elaborate? I know my 69 didn't, and I don't think 70s did either. May have been a Federal rule, and BMW started with the "modell 73" cars beginning with VIN 2570001...just not sure.

Chime in, anyone with a 70-71 car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I will put my 2 cents in here.

Having imported a number of cars into canada there is a steadfast rule.

If the car doesn't have a sticker on the door confirming a manufacture (birthdate) date it cannot come in. That being said, every 02 with original doors I have ever seen has had one including my race car which is a 1970 and an early 68 mint shell (what were we thinking) that we cut up. I think that the dealer probably can manufacture the sticker for you I don't see why not, you can certainly have it reproduced by your local sticker / sign shop fairly easier and if the original is perforated you could perforate it yourself with an appropriate punch.

If you surmise that your car was damaged en route to the dealer that might make sense but it would have to of been repaired once it was landed in the US as I don't think a stickerless car would make it into the country.