• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper jack stand placement? (ugh!)

I know (and I'm sorry), this horse has been beaten dead over the years, but...

I've done a pretty broad searching of the archives and there are so many opinions about (some, contradictory) and mentions of proper jack stand placement that I thought I'd just run this by y'all. 

I'd like to get the rear up too (I'm in the middle of replacing wheels studs all around) and it may be parked this way for a while and just want to be sure I've got the smartest, safest and most secure method employed.

FRONT END: I've got my front end up, supported at both frame rails by 2 6-ton jack stands (overkill, I know), and my floor jack "parked" under front sub-frame center. Like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.37ba4fdbfe8c9532128693cea3a1a245.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.16a76b2ee78d98a25c36d33bd5405b05.jpeg

Questions:

1. I've got rubber jack stand pads to protect the rails, but I can see some mild deformation of the rubber. Would I be better off in the long run with, as some have suggested, 2x4 blocks or 4x4 sections between the jack stands and frame rails?

2. Are the frame rails at all vulnerable to this weight-bearing or should I be using the front sub-frame if that placement doesn't interfere with the work?

REAR END: When I get to the rear, I plan on lifting with floor jack by the center of rear sub-frame, just in front of diff (its been suggested that the diff is NOT the place to lift from). And I would place the 2 jack-stands on the outboard ends of the sub -frame, just inboard of the sub-frame-to-chassis brace. Like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.cb89af9a5dec6ef6d0b19dd2cf652379.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3778ddc3efdf37798ac9207c1daf757c.jpeg

Questions:

3. In order to place floor jack here t left, Id be coming in from the side. Am I right?

4. Am I correct on the floor jack placement?

Thanks everyone🙏🏼

Doug           O==00==O

https://www.instagram.com/bmw2002alpina.tribute/

The only thing I'd do different is I like to set the v on top of the front jack stands on the bolt spacer where the front arms go through the subframe, no way for it to slip there, I also stack the wheels under the car on the end I'm working on just in case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The only thing I'd do different is I like to set the v on top of the front jack stands on the bolt spacer where the front arms go through the subframe, no way for it to slip there, I also stack the wheels under the car on the end I'm working on just in case.

I'll go have a look at the bolt spacer where the front arms go through the subframe tomorrow. And 👍🏼 on the wheels stacked under car!

Doug           O==00==O

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

What do you think of those rubber pads? You like those or wood?

Doug           O==00==O

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I also stack the wheels under the car on the end I'm working on just in case.

This right here, every time I get under my car, make it so it cannot fall on you or pin you if it slides sideways.

I am very careful but had a car slip sideways onto me when I was 18, how I still have my leg was pure simple luck, my leg ended up between the strut and the chassis rail, the fender bottom landed on a raised concrete edge keeping the whole car off me, the disc missed the family jewels by inches, I’ve never moved so fast. For me sideways movement is one of the first things I check, not sure I like the way the rails sit on not in the jack stand mouth. I also don’t use those racket type jack stands, hole and pin is safest. Maybe I worry to much🙄😂

• Thanks 1

I jack mine up at the rear using the diff. May not be ideal but it’s the only point I can reach with the jack. It’s a full size garage jack but the car is low.

For the stands I use the front subframe and the same points as you have pointed out at the rear. 

• Thanks 1

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

Be careful jacking on the front sub frame. When lowering the car, i have had the jack slide out from under the subframe since its metal on metal and can move. Have a rubber pad between the jack and the front subframe creates enough friction that the jack doesn't slip when lowering the car.

Your lifting and jack stand points are all good. The front subframes can take the weight but they do tend to get a few minor dents over the years especially if you don't use pads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

1 hour ago, PhilC said:

😂 I can’t even get the jack under my car at the front let alone with a beam. I have to drive onto some shallow ramps and then jack up.

Yeah, a couple 2x6s is what I used in front. And a lo-profile jack. Just have to remember to have those boards in place when I lower. 😳

• Like 1

Doug           O==00==O

54 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

Be careful jacking on the front sub frame. When lowering the car, i have had the jack slide out from under the subframe since its metal on metal and can move. Have a rubber pad between the jack and the front subframe creates enough friction that the jack doesn't slip when lowering the car.

Your lifting and jack stand points are all good. The front subframes can take the weight but they do tend to get a few minor dents over the years especially if you don't use pads.

My jack came with a pretty thin rubber pad but I was able to source a much better one about an inch thick. Much happier with that. 

Doug           O==00==O

When you jack up the rear end, use a piece of 2x6 on the jack lift point to spread the load over that flat plate at the center of the rear subframe.  That plate isn't that thick, and can be deformed (more cosmetic than dangerous) with the load concentrated on the small jack head...

mike

PS--once the car's jacked up and on stands, grab and shake it--hard--to make sure it's good and firm.  If it's gonna fall off, it's much better to do so if you're not under it.

• Like 6

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

13 hours ago, PDX.Duke said:

I'll go have a look at the bolt spacer where the front arms go through the subframe tomorrow. And 👍🏼 on the wheels stacked under car!

Good onya for considering the tires. Not sure how hard you’d get shaken by “the big one” in PDX but I like to keep in mind that I am technically in earthquake country in Seattle when figuring out jack stand and backup situations. Jackstands, plus the jack “parked” like you have it, AND tires  under the car are my strategy. 

• Thanks 1

I would ditch the rubber pads and turn the jack stand sideways so the frame rail sits inside the "U" shaped piece. That's what I do and it feels/looks more secure. With a sideways push I'm not sure that the rubber pad would be good.  My two cents.

Murph

• Like 3