• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin Weber 45 DCOE question for 2002 e10

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I bought twin Weber 45 DCOE with "Cannon intake manifold kit" for my 1975 BMW e10 many years ago. Finally after restoring the car installed them but unfortunately they are not running correctly. Cannot balance the carburetors using Synchrometer tool.

Currently I am using E10 engine, with raised high compression pistons, E12 head and camshaft from 1973 Tii. Unfortunately, I do not remember what size of pistons was installed.   

Car has no power when driving, max speed 10 to 15 miles only.  Idle below 1200 car shakes badly and turn off. I have research online as well as books for correct Jet sets. Before buying more parts want to check with you to see what you are using on your Twin Weber 45 DCOE.

Below chart indicates my finding from this forum on the left (40 and 45 DCOE WEBER JETTING info!), Center section is what Cannon Kit suggest, and the on the right what Haynes Book suggest.

Thank you very much.

Regards, Jay

Weber 45 DCOE.jpg

Edited by Radio Fixer

Please attach a picture of you set up on the car. Your jetting looks reasonable for a 9.5 to 1 car with a stock cam, what fuel pressure are you running and how are your floats set, but if you can't get them to sync I think is your first point of correction.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

You are way overcarbed. 
Get a set of 40 dcoe and a corresponding Distributor and manifold.

You can try to get this running but it‘s a waste of time and money.

Think of drinking from a bucket unless you have a very large mouth a glass works better.
45 make sense when you're running a ported Engine with large valves and a 300° plus cam.
When you're running a stock Engine/cam  with raised compression 40s are the way to go.
And: you'll need a modded Distributor or at least a ti(i) distributor

Edited by uai
  • Like 2

Are you running air filters.? If so make sure the round hole just above the left air horn ( looking at the carburetor) is not covered.  They will idle but as soon as you try to open the throttle it will fall on its face.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

12 hours ago, Radio Fixer said:

Cannot balance the carburetors using Synchrometer tool.

Almost all tuning manuals instruct tuners to first make sure the linkage is working properly before attempting to tune the carbs.  We suggest you use our Ultimate Side Draft Linkage System because it eliminates the linkage as a problem system in tuning.  Check it out at:

WWW.2002SONLY.COM

The Universal DCOE System works with any one- or two-piece manifold including OEM, IE, Cannon, Korman, Warnerford, …. This is the best System for most Side Draft conversions including those with the DCOE choke mechanism installed. $265 plus shipping. NOTE:...

Hal

• Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Posted (edited)

To answer some of the questions:

1. currently using Facet Fuel Pump - Electric In-Line - Solid State, I think it offers "2 to 3.5 PSI". 

2. Using RamFlo air filter for Weber DCOE.

3. Also using mechanical distributors, BMW Tii Bosch Distributor 0231188002-JFD 4.  Tt does not have vacuum system.

Please see attached pictures.

Thanks

Facet Fuel Pump.jpg

RamFlo Air Filter.jpg

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

Edited by Radio Fixer

You can do the base sync by opening the screws above the transition holes and use a lamp in the trumpets to adjust the butterflys to be about the same.

• Like 1

There are so many possibilities.  You are sure the spark plug wires are correct, ignition timing is correct?  Show us a picture of the way your throttle linkage is hooked up. 

There are some basic Weber things you need to look at.  Where are the idle mixture screws set?  Close them all the way but DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM, gently turn them until they stop then open them 1.5-2 full turns out.  This should be a reasonable place to start.  There is also the possibility that the Aux Venturies are not installed correctly, they are held in place with a set screw and if it is not tight they can turn and or someone put them in backwards.  I've seen it more than a few times.  Back the idle speed screws out all the way on both carbs and make sure the throttle plates are closed.  If the linkage does not allow them both to be closed at teh same time you need to adjust the linkage until they do.  This is the starting point for balancing them.  

We all started somewhere working on cars and it is hard to advise you with limited information.  How good of a mechanic are you? We might assume that the basics are things that you have already gone over 3-4 times and you have a complicated 1 off problem or we might encourage you to make sure you have the firing order correct with your spark plug wires.  You installed the carbs?  Have you checked for Vacuum leaks?  What kind of gaskets did you use between the carbs and the manifolds?  The isolating type can be easy to mess up and you can have a major vacuum leak. 

A few places to start 

• Like 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

On the Cannon manifolds some times the enrichment section on the carbs hit the manifold and prevent a air tight seal, it's a easy fix and worth checking out. Also are you using the anti vibration  isolation mounts or the solid spacers?

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

In addition to that shopping list, are they Italian or the newer Spanish versions? The latter has different float and initial mixture screw settings.

It would be helpful if you could find the choke size. It will be stamped on the choke.

I agree with the comments about 45s on a stock motor. A friend solved his carb problems by swapping his 45s for 40s.

Edited by Hans
More

On 5/15/2024 at 1:16 AM, uai said:

You are way overcarbed. 
Get a set of 40 dcoe and a corresponding Distributor and manifold.

You can try to get this running but it‘s a waste of time and money.

Think of drinking from a bucket unless you have a very large mouth a glass works better.
45 make sense when you're running a ported Engine with large valves and a 300° plus cam.
When you're running a stock Engine/cam  with raised compression 40s are the way to go.
And: you'll need a modded Distributor or at least a ti(i) distributor

I've been there and made this mistake buying 45's instead of 40's.  I'd sell the 45's and buy a set of 40's right now.  You might get them running better then they are now because something is badly wrong with your particular setup because your engine shouldn't be dying at rpm's past 1500, but they will never be fun at low speeds.

18 hours ago, Preyupy said:

There are so many possibilities.  You are sure the spark plug wires are correct, ignition timing is correct?  Show us a picture of the way your throttle linkage is hooked up. 

There are some basic Weber things you need to look at.  Where are the idle mixture screws set?  Close them all the way but DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM, gently turn them until they stop then open them 1.5-2 full turns out.  This should be a reasonable place to start.  There is also the possibility that the Aux Venturies are not installed correctly, they are held in place with a set screw and if it is not tight they can turn and or someone put them in backwards.  I've seen it more than a few times.  Back the idle speed screws out all the way on both carbs and make sure the throttle plates are closed.  If the linkage does not allow them both to be closed at teh same time you need to adjust the linkage until they do.  This is the starting point for balancing them.  

We all started somewhere working on cars and it is hard to advise you with limited information.  How good of a mechanic are you? We might assume that the basics are things that you have already gone over 3-4 times and you have a complicated 1 off problem or we might encourage you to make sure you have the firing order correct with your spark plug wires.  You installed the carbs?  Have you checked for Vacuum leaks?  What kind of gaskets did you use between the carbs and the manifolds?  The isolating type can be easy to mess up and you can have a major vacuum leak. 

A few places to start 

Preyupy is right in that there are quite a few things that could be wrong with your basic engine setup.  Sometimes it takes more then a basic level of expertise to figure it out too.  But many times it winds up being something other then the carbs.  As one of our contributors to the forum likes to say... "All of your carb problems are in the ignition"  It's true more often then you think.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

On 5/14/2024 at 8:25 PM, Radio Fixer said:

Hello,

I bought twin Weber 45 DCOE with "Cannon intake manifold kit" for my 1975 BMW e10 many years ago. Finally after restoring the car installed them but unfortunately they are not running correctly. Cannot balance the carburetors using Synchrometer tool.

Currently I am using E10 engine, with raised high compression pistons, E12 head and camshaft from 1973 Tii. Unfortunately, I do not remember what size of pistons was installed.   

Car has no power when driving, max speed 10 to 15 miles only.  Idle below 1200 car shakes badly and turn off. I have research online as well as books for correct Jet sets. Before buying more parts want to check with you to see what you are using on your Twin Weber 45 DCOE.

Below chart indicates my finding from this forum on the left (40 and 45 DCOE WEBER JETTING info!), Center section is what Cannon Kit suggest, and the on the right what Haynes Book suggest.

Thank you very much.

Regards, Jay

Weber 45 DCOE.jpg

Here are my settings with 45DCOEs and a Cannon kit:

- Emulsion Tube: F9

- Idle Jet: 55 F9

- Main Jet: 155

- Air Correction Jet: 180

- Choke: 34

- Misc: Schrick 292 cams, Stahl headers, MSD Ignition 

The set up is for street use and generally tractable with a slight lumpy but acceptable idle.