• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key cylinder slides out of lock

1972 2002tii

So this happened today.

image.thumb.jpeg.9503493e133c08957d5b8cc1d3fe24ba.jpeg

Went to unlock door and cylinder just came right out. Slid it back in and still couldn’t unlock the door. 
Unlocked it from inside and door handle itself still works fine. 

I did a little research and found this photo from a post by @zinz about a year ago showing a screw holding the cylinder in place. 
image.thumb.jpeg.d4bd5ddc872f1d971a3613f9c3c6bbc3.jpeg
I don’t have it in front of me at the moment but in my photo it looks like the cylinder itself might be broken on the rearward part furthest in. I’ll have to check it again tomorrow. 

What am I looking at in terms of repair? 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

You’ll need new used good cylinder in which you place plates & springs from the old one. Handle needs to come off so door card off. Take broken bits out from bottom of the door.

• Like 4

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

It may be broken but also the screw on the back can loosen and fall down with the tab that actuates locking mechanism. Then it would need just reassembling.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

On 4/28/2024 at 1:24 AM, tzei said:

You’ll need new used good cylinder in which you place plates & springs from the old one. Handle needs to come off so door card off. Take broken bits out from bottom of the door.

Pablo, if you need a good used door handle complete with the parts you need let me know. I have one for $25

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

It may be broken but also the screw on the back can loosen and fall down with the tab that actuates locking mechanism. Then it would need just reassembling.

It’s always had trouble unlocking the door as well so probably related. Looks like I have another project lol. 
thanks. 

3 hours ago, resra said:

Pablo, if you need a good used door handle complete with the parts you need let me know. I have one for $25

appears I do. I’ll message you when I get home later this week. Currently traveling for work. I have a couple extra handles that came in a parts box with the car, although I’m fairly certain they don’t have cylinders. Let me check. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

You can take your existing key and modify another lock cylinder so the key will work with it.  I did a column on that; PM me if you'd like a copy.

Cheers

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/29/2024 at 8:48 PM, Mike Self said:

You can take your existing key and modify another lock cylinder so the key will work with it.  I did a column on that; PM me if you'd like a copy.

Cheers

mike

Is that the one where you put the mismatched key in the cylinder, then shave off all the little ribs that still stick up? I came across that somewhere in my research. Brilliant!

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

23 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Is that the one where you put the mismatched key in the cylinder, then shave off all the little ribs that still stick up? I came across that somewhere in my research. Brilliant!

Yep...I've done it several times and it works just fine.

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/29/2024 at 8:27 AM, resra said:

Ok. Let me know. Mine is complete just dont have a key. 

I have 3 handles, but no cylinders lol. So I'll take you up on your offer. I'll message you.

Thanks.

Pablo-

2003 e39 M5 (daily)