• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box Fan/Motor Replacement

So I ordered the heater box foam and fan/motor replacement. The fan/motor replacment part number is the item below from URO.

APA/URO Parts logo
Blower Motor - 1968-1976 BMW 2002 - APA/URO PartsClick to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge

How am I supposed to get that inside this?

image.jpeg.76df9739e2dfdcc0c1cb81579138e701.jpeg

I've searched the forum and the web and I am not able to determine what to do with the new fan/motor. I guess I'll try taking the motor off of the new fan and trying to attach the old fan to it. 

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Yeah, that certainly doesn’t look like the right fan. Check out the technical articles for heater fan replacement, it covers it all. To reuse the metal blade, you need to remove it from the existing motor - prdesignsf.com sells a blade adapter kit.

Edited by Rodolfo Lasparri
Typo

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

2 minutes ago, Rodolfo Lasparri said:

Yeah, that certainly doesn’t look like the right fan. Check out the technical articles for heater fan replacement, it covers it all. To reuse the metal blade, you need to remove it from the existing motor - prdesignsf.com sells a blade adapter kit.

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

I did a couple of columns about resurrecting dead heater blower motors, and how to extract your existing fan from a dead motor.  PM me if you'd like a copy.  

And there are dozens of posts on the FAQ about removing, dismantling and refurbishing your heater assembly.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The parstgeek fan is a centrifugal wheel with backward curved blading.  The 02 fan is a propeller fan.  The centrifugal needs a scroll to work and is completely the wrong one.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

10 minutes ago, jimk said:

The parstgeek fan is a centrifugal wheel with backward curved blading.  The 02 fan is a propeller fan.  The centrifugal needs a scroll to work and is completely the wrong one.

What he said....wait, what'd he say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

funny- I saw that the other day looking for things, and thought- dafuq?  and moved on.

That said, make a scroll housing for it, and the heater would finally flow some air!

t

hackify your life for better airflow.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've had bad experiences with parts geek before, their customer service is a joke.

I ordered a 6 bolt guibo from them, what arrived was a 8 bolt. The lady from customer service didn't seem to get that there is a difference and told me I could ship it back on my dime for a refund.

• Like 1

Just did this, the pic you shared is not it.    

Here are the three things I purchased to create the set up. 

Fan blower motor Porsche Fan, Bosch, part # 0 130 007 002 from "510" website/distributor  ($200 is the best price I could find, other sites listed them for $400 if they were even in stock - a few years ago they were only $70)   

Granger plastic computer fan, part # 5JLL6  - see Mark92131 in Heater Box Restoration May 29, 2022 (FAQ blog)

PRDesignSF has Metal Fan Blade Retrofit Adapter with directions on FAQ (2/2019).  Cut a notch in shaft for set screw and use medium thread lock. 

IMG_1401 (1).jpg

Edited by James Laray
  • Like 1

Guys - the motor in that single wheel, centrifugal version in the OP’s initial post looks uncannily like my E3 set up. I can’t locate this image/part on the Uro site so cannot confirm. 

The Porsche/Bosch motor - that isn’t in stock at the usual suspects these last couple of years - which is the replacement for our 02 motors is also the replacement for the E3 centrifugal fan. In the E3 it’s a 5 minute job to clip it in which I did a couple of years back. 

So be interesting to get a closer look at that motor in the URO part. 

Edit: Found it on the Uro site - looks eerily similar to what I describe above.  But out of stock also. I wonder if Uro confirmed the order for the OP …?

Edited by zambo