• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel smell in trunk (arrggghhh!!!)

VeroTii
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Permatex is available most everywhere.  Hylomar is a chemical name, so any should be alike.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I think Mike and Jim have it figured out flatten those dimples and make sure your using the right hardware bolts and flat washers.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Do not use Permatex for fuel tank rubber.

It's OK to use a very thin layer of Silicone Grease or Water Pump/Bearing Grease only to make reinstalling the Fuel level Sender slightly easier to install.      

A new Level Sender O-Ring.

New Fuel Pickup Flat Gasket, best to install the washers & bolts only finger tight at first. Then tighten by 1/4 turn in a "star"pattern to tighten the gasket evenly similarly to tuning a drum head.. If starting at the 12 o'clock bolt, then 6, 3, 9 then , 1, 7, 10, 4, etc.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

10 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Do not use Permatex for fuel tank rubber.

Needs further definition because Permatex covers a lot of ground.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

Needs further definition because Permatex covers a lot of ground.

Both Hylomar and Permatex are brands that make many different sealants.

You can use Permatex orange fuel resistant or Hylomar blue. Both are fuel resistant, not fuel proof.

I use Permatex Perma Shield (a Hylomar blue compound) on all gaskets.  Since I started using it, I haven't had to get a new valve cover gasket, no leaks and it doesn't rip the gasket apart when the cover is removed.

A partially used tube does not dry up either.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a status.  I have pulled the feed and pounded the plate flat at all hole locations (see picture).  Looks good so far.  I am curious about the 8 bolts I have.  They look like M5's with washers attached to them.  The integral washers have a slight "conical" shape to them.  They look too thick to have been bent into that shape and each one looks consistent.  Is that stock and normal?  Also, I am thinking a thin Nylon or PTFE washer under each one would be an another seal in addition to the Hylomar.  What do you think oh wise and all knowing forum?

IMG_2410.jpeg

IMG_2412.jpeg

Take a look at the flat gasket.  The bolt holes are usually pretty tight around the bolts.  I am guessing that is how the design was intended to seal the threads.   Nothing wrong adding the washer though.

Edited by jimk

I went ahead and replaced the bolts with stainless M5's and stainless M5 fender washers.  Used generous amounts of Hylomar Blue on both sides of the gasket and under each washer before tightening.  Picture is the finished product.  My fingers are crossed for the morning smell check.  Can't imagine anything else that could be done.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

IMG_2413.jpeg

1 hour ago, VeroTii said:

I went ahead and replaced the bolts with stainless M5's and stainless M5 fender washers.  Used generous amounts of Hylomar Blue on both sides of the gasket and under each washer before tightening.  Picture is the finished product.  My fingers are crossed for the morning smell check.  Can't imagine anything else that could be done.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

IMG_2413.jpeg

Good work.  Give it a couple of days to die down, though, before you lose heart. Persistent smell.  Also, unless you have really nailed down all the other possibilities….

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Thanks.  Will do.

I have already replaced the filler neck, both gaskets and run the vent out to beneath the car.  The only other possibility is that the tank has a seam seal leak someplace but I see no evidence of that and the tank is super clean inside and out.

• Like 1