• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

project pricing

I bought a 72 project this summer from my neighbor and haven’t found the motivation to work on it.  Plus we’re starting a house remodel and I have a bunch of other half finished projects that i should get to.  I’m trying to figure out how much to list it for.  

Body is fairly clean, spare tire well is rotten but no other rust in the trunk.  floorboards look ok from the underside.  some rust around the rear window but seems solid.  A little more under the hood in the area where the wiper stuff is.  I listed what I’ve done in a separate thread, which isn’t much.

My neighbor said it ran when he parked it(he bought it for his daughter and parked it after she crashed it and bent the nose and grill around 1999.  He likely had tinkered with it in the past few years because the gas i drained seemed like old gas and not goo.

He gave me a 320i 5 speed and lsd rear dif.  It has a downdraft weber.  from what i can tell it’s mostly complete.  original color is colorado with a really poor and peeling white respray.  Has the moonroof which is stuck closed.

i have not tried to start it but the valve train looked good when i pulled the valve cover.  oil was dirty but no chunks, metal or signs of water.  This has been a sacramento car since at least 1995 or so.

Any idea what I can sell it for?  I have a box of rockauto parts to go with it- calipers, wheel cylinders, drums and disc pads, ignition tube up and probably a couple other minor things i don’t remember at the moment.  I’ll post a few pictures in the next day or so.

Edited by former510
spelingsw

not without pictures, I can't.

Despite the language overlay, we are a visual species...

...and the market for these as non- running projects seems to vary a lot based on region,

time of day, phase of moon...

t

spent a few days in Sacramento once.

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I would sell the 5 speed and LSD and use that money to get it running and driving. (either buying the parts and fix it yourself or paying someone to do it).  Running and driving in that condition $8K - $10K, as is, $3K - $5K?  If no significant rust, it would be a good project for someone with the time and the money to complete the restoration.

IMHO,

Mark92131

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I second what @Mark92131 says. 

Take it to a shop that knows 2002s, like Morris Motors in Walnut Creek. Sell the diff and 5 speed, get the car running and driving, then sell. You'll have a better outcome this way. And during the next month it takes you to both sell the parts and fix the car, many more buyers will come online (tax reimbursement season is upon us, and people want spring projects). 

Or if you want to just get rid of everything, I'd probably be a buyer. I'm always in Sac, harrassing our local FAQers. 

Good luck, either way. 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Thanks for the ideas.  I wrote something similar in my earlier thread about getting it running. i may push forward a bit and get it running and around the block driveable, which would make it a bunch more attractive to some potential buyers i think.  I just have so little free time these days and for the next few years.

Edited by former510

The diff and trans are worth 2k together. That’ll get you ten hours of labor and necessary parts to get it driving at a professional shop and probably double the value from 4k to 8k. Or sell it all for 5k now and focus on the remodel. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mike G said:

The diff and trans are worth 2k together.

Three tears ago now the price for the trans alone is around 3 grand anyway IMO.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 2/14/2024 at 6:27 PM, Mike G said:

how many you buying at that price? I have two. 

Find me ones that are guaranteed to be solid and good and I will pay you 4K, and pick them up from your front lawn with a case of beer and maple syrup in each hand.

Edited by Dudeland
  • Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

8 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Find me ones that are guaranteed to be solid and good and I will pay you 4K, and pick them up from your front lawn with a case of beer and maple syrup in each hand.

I'm in Alaska and it’s still in the car so you can test drive before you buy. Let me know what day you’re flying in and I’ll pick you up at the airport, and yes, Alaska uses US dollars too.

hell, for 2k more I’ll throw in a 3.91 lsd and tii engine

Edited by Mike G

48 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I'm in Alaska and it’s still in the car so you can test drive before you buy. Let me know what day you’re flying in and I’ll pick you up at the airport, and yes, Alaska uses US dollars too.

hell, for 2k more I’ll throw in a 3.91 lsd and tii engine

Unfortunately your engine has too high a compression ratio for my plans.  I am surprised you still haven't sold it, if I was in the market it would be a no brainer.  Thanks for the offer, but if i am being honest  I am kinda over the whole transmission saga. 

Here is how it breaks down for me in the end. 

1) If I knew for sure, somebody had one that got a good once over buy somebody I knew and trusted with these things.  No problem, I pay the money.   Unfortunately the only folks I trust like that just retired last year.  

2) I have another 245 in my attic that I know for sure has problems, as I got it from a guy that had E21's and knew what a good one was worth ( I din't pay what it was worth).  I was laughed out of the garage by like 8 guys hanging out it one of the most kick ass mancaves I have ever been in. I took it with a grain of salt because I know that even one with zero history (maybe ok) is going to hold its value as more stuff is blown apart. 

3) The longevity of these things is done.  There are no replacements, and unless they start making layshaft bearings, game over.  So I am into something that the next person who inherits it can service, otherwise it just becomes someones friends old car that gets sold for $2 because it doesn't run.

4) LSD's are not really worth it anymore.  One that is "rebuilt" with "all new bearings" (wink wink) is $1200 .  I can get a Wavetrac, with killer tech, for $300 more and fit it into the original case.  The biggest modification is the retaining ring groove getting relocated. This comes with a transferrable (?) lifetime warranty. 

I have a open E21 diff with axels, so I will put the phantom clutch in the Stock 02 case, wait for it to grenade, say 2-3 seasons, and in the meantime, keep my eye peeled for a wavetrac and bob is your uncle.   That is if I don't come across an 02 underground rear subframe in those 2-3 seasons

5) Transmission swap to the RX8 for me is the best program at this time in terms of future support.  Hoards of these cars were made, the parts are interchangeable, and if all it takes is a bump of the tunnel, so be it.  I do think that it will be a learning curve, and perhaps a way that you can dowel align the plate would be needed. 

Part of the reason I am thinking K24 is you can get any transmission you want, including sequential stuff. That may be the answer I am looking for, but what I have done this far will support anything I need to do in the future. 

Regards

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002