• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator puzzle solved

I as many of others have struggled to replace or upgrade 35amp Bosch alternator.  

I had found 3rd parties that sell rebuilt increased amp replacements.  After spending $300+ for one that failed after 6 months I came across multiple threads advocating for using 318i alternator.  This option does require some modifications as well as unique bracket. 

I was not sold on the option so I set out on a quest to find the holy grail.... a drop in replacement with higher amp!

After some research I found an amazing, kind and knowledgeable artisan of alternators/ starters.  Hi name...  Mark Greeson.  I brought Mark my Bosch and explained my situation.  He attempted to fix my $300 dude but it could not be revived and pronounced dead from cardiac arrest.  

So Mark, embarked on his journey to find the grail.  After much research and archaeological digging I received a call that he had found it!!!  A 100amp, internal voltage regulator and option to have external or self exciting.  I could not believe it!!! Could it really be true... the Grail?!

With an odd feeling of hope and skepticism , I picked it up and brought it back to my own lab to conduct my own test and see if in fact this is.... The Grail.  

I proceeded to install and.......  IT FIT!!!!!!!  An exact drop in!!!  No modifications!!!!!  With the addition of one 1/8" washer it slipped in and bolted right up... photos below

If you find yourself in need of replacement or upgrade, I highly recommend giving Mark a call... contact info below...  tell him BMW guy sent you!

God Bless

IMG_2920.thumb.jpeg.8570d8a8d9264da9a190d7792154434d.jpeg

IMG_2919.thumb.jpeg.927f859839a01f7cb238726354c08f5e.jpeg

IMG_2921.thumb.jpeg.2221ab0dea3ee2a50d7039c650256cbb.jpeg

IMG_2927.thumb.jpeg.e9ea10d3ff65cab6df21890e470ecb8b.jpegIMG_2945.thumb.jpeg.8e17c43ae966a121fff505f0db43e7b2.jpeg

IMG_2942.thumb.jpeg.b94e0da4adbdf2b224b98f4a9aa13c44.jpeg

IMG_2929.thumb.jpeg.c66c11ce65d985bc1a24ca922fd7a686.jpeg

IMG_2930.thumb.jpeg.3c06d2f58aab57764f3ebbde92be04ca.jpeg

Edited by Corrado Grieci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to know and I’m just a short drive away in Durham.

Last year I put in a BNR right before the drive to MidAmerica even though reviews on the forum are mixed and it’s worked very well. 

I have the old alternator - maybe I’ll see what Mark can do with it.

2 hours ago, visionaut said:

So what make/model car is it from??

Right? In one. of the pictures I am getting a serial of what looks like BA22B2, BX22B2 or RX22B2 but that red line is drawn over it so I can not be sure. I googled it and came up with nothing.

Grail

shrubbery?  flesh wound?

I like the little NDs, as they are tough as nails, and internally regulated.

They're the best solution I've found so far...

t

one person's quest...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I hate to be a Cassandra, but...

One question, and a possible caveat:  the replacement alternator doesn't appear to have rubber/urethane mountings--it bolts solidly to its bracket and thus is subject to engine vibrations. 

IIRC the reason for those rubber mounts was to insulate the alternator from engine vibrations.  That might have been excessive German attention to detail/caution, but....it'll be interesting to see if those solid mounts affect the unit's longevity.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Solid mount on my race car for decades - not a single problem. Can’t get much harsher than that.

+ thats what factory race guys did back in days.

Jap cars have been solid mount for years.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

37 minutes ago, tzei said:

Jap cars have been solid mount for years.

Don't most have balance shaft engines?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The OP's unit looks familiar.   I think it's a Delco.  One came with the S14, also 100 amp and I didn't need it, so it's on the shelf.  No Delco tag on it, was rebuilt by some Autolite outfit.  Case markings read Delco and a number cast in, see rubbing.

20240127_133226.jpg

20240127_133246.jpg

20240127_134440.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

Be really interesting to know what car this is out of.

By way of the pigtail I bought for it, the alternator is for an LT1/LT4 Corvette.