• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going from 13 inch Alpina wheel to 15 inch Alpina Wheel

Hello everyone.  As you can see by my user name, I am new around these parts and have what I think is a really cool 1602 that was hotrodded mechanically by the previous owner.  I am looking for tires and have quickly understood that tire selection in this size is pretty bad.  I currently have a set of “OEM” 13” Alpina wheels omn the car with 185/70/13 tires, which are a bit sedate for my tastes.

I really like the way the Alpina wheel looks, so I’d like to source a set of 15 inch Alpina wheels that would fit on the 02 without modification to the fenders or suspension.  The car has H&R sport springs front and rear.  I’ve been looking through the Stance thread and have an idea of what I should get for this car, but because the wheels are not a trivial expense I want to be sure I get the proper width and ET number (ET12?). Thanks in advance for all of your kind help!

I like the Maxilite Alpina reps. They have a nice deep lip compared to the Rotas.

15x6 et12 w 175/55 tires. No rubbing, even full lock over a curb. Usually I run it real low, it’s cranked up high in this pic for the painter.  I’ll get a better pic once it’s back together. 

CCBAF446-7B56-4FDC-88A0-B67E3EF668C3.thumb.jpeg.f71d86e6838b9ddabce96cf639dbc4cf.jpeg

47 minutes ago, -PORSCHE- said:

Hello everyone.  As you can see by my user name, I am new around these parts and have what I think is a really cool 1602 that was hotrodded mechanically by the previous owner.  I am looking for tires and have quickly understood that tire selection in this size is pretty bad.  I currently have a set of “OEM” 13” Alpina wheels omn the car with 185/70/13 tires, which are a bit sedate for my tastes.

I really like the way the Alpina wheel looks, so I’d like to source a set of 15 inch Alpina wheels that would fit on the 02 without modification to the fenders or suspension.  The car has H&R sport springs front and rear.  I’ve been looking through the Stance thread and have an idea of what I should get for this car, but because the wheels are not a trivial expense I want to be sure I get the proper width and ET number (ET12?). Thanks in advance for all of your kind help!

Do you have the genuine Alpina 13 inch wheels or the OEM e21 13 inch Alpina look a like wheels? The genuine Alpina 13 inch rims were staggered. The fronts should be 13x6 with offset of 12mm and rears 13x6.5 with offset of 6mm. They will also read the Alpina stamping around the center hub of each rim. 

If you have the OEM e21 Alpina look alike rims then they are all 13x5.5 with offset of et18

To each his own for sure buttttttttt.  What Alpina's do you have?? (Steelies or Alloy, and what size in either.  They made 5" and 5.5" steelies and 5", 5.5", 6" and 6.5" alloys).  With a 175/70 or 185/70 Pirelli CN 36, it's a good look, really good look IMO, in tandem with a tastefully lowered suspension.  That's just me though and I am old.  If they are steelies I will happily take them from you......

• Like 1

CN36 Pirellis are almost always the right call. I have 6.5x13 steel wheels and have no problems sourcing 205/60-13 tires. You should have the capacity for a wider tire. Certainly more assertive look if that’s what you’re after. 

• Like 2

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

1 hour ago, -PORSCHE- said:

Wait…. Lucky 7’s wheels are ET12.  Is that because his are 6X15 vice your 7x15?  Isn’t 7 inches too wide for the 2002?

ET12 works with the 6”, but not with 7”. If you go with a 7”, you’ll want ET25. As mentioned, I like the 6” Maxilites because they have a lip and some depth to the face. The Rotas are 7” ET25 and have much less lip. 

I also specifically wanted narrower for this set of wheels. My other wheelset is a 16x7 with wide rubber, so the Alpina set gives me a softer option when desired. 

Look around for pics of the Rotas and you’ll see the difference. Let me know if you want more pics or info on mine, I’m always happy to help. 

Edited by Lucky 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, markmac said:

To each his own for sure buttttttttt.  What Alpina's do you have?? (Steelies or Alloy, and what size in either.  They made 5" and 5.5" steelies and 5", 5.5", 6" and 6.5" alloys).  With a 175/70 or 185/70 Pirelli CN 36, it's a good look, really good look IMO, in tandem with a tastefully lowered suspension.  That's just me though and I am old.  If they are steelies I will happily take them from you......

I have alloys, not steelies, and I don’t know the width; I’ll have a look today.  I’m happy to not spend the money if I don’t have to…. Thank you!

Why not start with a sticky 205/60/13? Anything but sedate and you already have one of the coolest wheelsets for an 02! Plus you'll save money and not add dead weight to all four corners.

Bob

• Like 4

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

I had a set of Alpina 15X6 ET12 Alpina replica wheels on my former tii. I admit that they looked great but they didn't last long on my tii due to the offset issues.  Before you spend any money on tires and wheels,  spend some time in this thread. Your wallet and sanity will thank you in the long run.  My tii now has 15X7 ET26 wheels with 195/50-15 tires. I'm a happy camper.  

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

47 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I had a set of Alpina 15X6 ET12 Alpina replica wheels on my former tii. I admit that they looked great but they didn't last long on my tii due to the offset issues.  Before you spend any money on tires and wheels,  spend some time in this thread. Your wallet and sanity will thank you in the long run.  My tii now has 15X7 ET26 wheels with 195/50-15 tires. I'm a happy camper.  

Gordon,  What offset issues did you have with the 6X15 ET12?  How were those issues resolved with the 7X15 ET26?  Given that’s the look I’m after (the Alpina turbines) I wish I had a zero to low risk specification to fit on my car without issues.  

Bob02, The only 205/60R13 tires I can find or some Toyo track tires and BF Goodrich T/As.  I have Vredestein Classic summer tires on now and am concerned by the warnings to now subject the tires to any flex whatsoever for 24 hours after they’re out in the cold.  SOunds like a disaster just waiting to happen.

Thanks.

Here are some 

Amazon: 

Amazon.com- BFGoodrich Radial T-A All Season Car Tire for Passenger Cars, P205-60R13 86S - Automotiv….webloc

Amazon.com- Bearway Green Power S1 Summer Passenger Car Touring Radial Tire-205-60R13 205-60-13 205-….weblocAmazon.com- Toyo Proxes RA-1 Performance Radial Tire - 205-60R13 86V - Automotive.weblocAmazon.com- Tornel Direccional 205-60R13 86S BSW - Automotive.webloc

You found these two:

We all know BF Goodrich not a risk to purchase. 

Then there is Toyo. Big regional tire chain sells these around here and after being convinced to by them 2X I will never buy Toyo's again. 

Greenpower and Tornel. Have no idea. Both have a combined total of 9 5 star Amazon ratings, which means absolutely nothing.... For me I am a cheapskate and try a set of these for a measly $225 you may hit paydirt. You at least get an idea of what they look like mounted on your wheels. 

I agree with above. The Alpina's are very cool looking. Try a bigger tire. Cheapest route unless you want buy Rota or sell your current ones and buy a different set of wheels. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.