• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed swap help

1 hour ago, Rusty525rusty said:

3. The box catches on the steering arm... maybe I can just grind this bit back?

I'm assuming you are talking about the center track rod?

It will bind when in a hard turn.

Radius that boss a bit, easier when out of the car, a rotary burr works better than a grinder. Generates less heat and wont clog up with aluminum.

36 minutes ago, Rusty525rusty said:

I need to get a slave cylinder ordered now

Right after you convert your pic format to jpeg....

IMG_1168 2.JPG

IMG_1169 2.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Yeah you're going to want to install the slave cyl with the trans out, I'm not sure if the 240 slave mounts with the bleeder pointing down like the 245 but it would be worth checking out before you put it all back together.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Something else to install with trans out is the reverse switch and wiring.

Its on the passenger side of the trans and its pretty tight.

Fab up like so with lots of wire, run it over the top of trans and secure it so it stays up there. Trust me.

IMG_3612.JPG

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

13 hours ago, tech71 said:

Something else to install with trans out is the reverse switch and wiring.

Its on the passenger side of the trans and its pretty tight.

Fab up like so with lots of wire, run it over the top of trans and secure it so it stays up there. Trust me.

IMG_3612.JPG

If you are installing a Getrag 245, the e21 transmission may already have a securing clip for the reverse light harness on the transmission housing.  I cleaned up my old harness and added two male spade connectors for attaching to the stock 2002 leads.

IMG_1019_Original.jpeg

IMG_1209_Original.jpeg

IMG_1210_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Has anyone used a shift lever that bolts the lever to the chassis (like ebay short shift kit style) rather than the 02 & e21 shifter plate mounted on the transmission?

I can see maybe getting a better quality shift and it would  up the hole to save from engine smells but is the NVH too bad? My engine and trans have a lways had a fair amount if movement so is directly hard linking yo the chassis a bad idea?

Thanks

That's the way it was done in E21s from the factory.  See diagrams on RealOEM site.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, Rusty525rusty said:

Has anyone used a shift lever that bolts the lever to the chassis (like ebay short shift kit style) rather than the 02 & e21 shifter plate mounted on the transmission?

I can see maybe getting a better quality shift and it would  up the hole to save from engine smells but is the NVH too bad? My engine and trans have a lways had a fair amount if movement so is directly hard linking yo the chassis a bad idea?

Thanks

So you mean mounting the entire shifter plate to the body? Later e21's were still mounted to the tranny at their front mounts and had a rubber bushing that mounted to the body at the rear. That's the way I mounted the shifter plate when I did the 5 speed conversion on my 73 tii. I bolted a bracket though the body and mounted the stock e21 bracket (#9 below) and bushing/bracket (#8 & 10) to that.

diag_2m5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

On 1/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, Rusty525rusty said:

so is directly hard linking yo the chassis a bad idea?

It’s a terrible idea don’t do it you will regret it.

Get ahold of an E21 shift platform, and aft support, shorten the platform and use that.

Take note of how short the 240 trans shift shaft is compared to a 245. Going to have to lengthen the shift rod not shorten.

I didn't use the stock 02 shift platform because I was concerned about clearance issues with the fwd shift rod joint.

Along with slightly shortening, I also cut out/opened it up  bit  to ensure clearance

IMG_5489 copy.JPG

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

6 hours ago, bergie33 said:

The stock BMW shifter support blocks are a weak point.

They hold up ok provided they don’t get soaked in oil from leaky shift shaft ect

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 minutes ago, tech71 said:

They hold up ok provided they don’t get soaked in oil from leaky shift shaft ect

Or oil leaking out of the bolt threads on the driver's side because it is drilled thru, while the passenger's side is a blind hole.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.