• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from TN!

Greetings all from a new member in Oak Ridge TN!

I’m new to the 2002 world, but not new to either classic cars or BMWs.  At one time or another I have owned a Lotus 7, and Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710, a series 3 Land Rover 88, a 1965 Mustang convertible, a 996 Porsche 911, a ‘75 VW bug, an M2CS, and too many motorcycles to count. 

My daily is an X3M Comp and while effective at what it does, it doesn’t fill my classic car void (obviously). 

I am interested in getting into a 2002 roundie, driver not show queen. I am a big fan of tinkering and upgrading, but my days of rust repair and painting are behind me.  My goal would be a handling-focused car to really enjoy our East Tennessee roads. 

Looking forward to learning more about these cars, whats popular, and whats possible. 

Edited by Transalpian
Forgetful
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum.   No lack of tips, preferences, variations and recommendations regarding all years, versions, and modifications of these cars.  Use your browser’s search function to key word search any topic, and you’re likely to find more material than you can find time to review on any of the above.  If there were ever a good time in the last decade to score a decent deal on a decent ‘02 it’s probably right now.  

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Yet another welcome to the fraternity/sorority...

And if you score an 02 in time, you're in easy striking distance of both Mid America 02 Fest in Arkansas (late April) and Vintage in Asheville (mid May). 

I organize a caravan to both but you're so close to Asheville it would be out of your way to join up.  With Mid America, coming from Dayton OH we pass through western TN, and you could join up with us en route.  If you're interested, PM me and I'll add you to the roster for caravan planning emails.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, 0257 said:

Welcome to the forum.   No lack of tips, preferences, variations and recommendations regarding all years, versions, and modifications of these cars.  Use your browser’s search function to key word search any topic, and you’re likely to find more material than you can find time to review on any of the above.  If there were ever a good time in the last decade to score a decent deal on a decent ‘02 it’s probably right now.  

I'm curious why now is a better time in the 2002 market?  I know the P-car market has softened (probably more accurate to call it a correction).  The only other area I am reasonably close to is the Land Rover world, and those seem to be holding steady (but not having seen much of a covid-era bubble increase).  What's going on in 2002 world?

Welcome @Transalpian! Thanks for introducing yourself.

I feel like now is better than mid-2021 to late- 2022 but prices still seem quite a bit higher than the before times (pre-covid). Just my opinion. I got mine in May 2022 - prolly around the peak (d'oh)

You can see historic prices on BaT (but my take is there are better buys to be had elsewhere)

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Anybody’s guess as to why prices have declined, but I am seeing it in almost all the cars I follow, including e-types and e9 coupes.  Certainly rising interest rates and the threat of recession have put some under financial stress or at least made some reconsider the financial viability of their marginal hobbies.  Of course, meanwhile the stock market returned 20%+ last year.  I have noted that exceptionally nice vehicles are still getting very respectable prices.  Agreed there are better buys out there than online auction sites, but you need to spread a wide net to find them.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

36 minutes ago, 0257 said:

threat of recession

As groceries and stuff at home depot costs almost 2x what they did 3 years ago, I think we're well passed 'threat'

But, yes, I agree, prices are declining.. just not sure if now is the best time or they'll continue to slide for the time being.

I am happy to see prices decline as my hope is that 2002s remain affordable drivers cars - not investment tokens.

• Like 2

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

I was going to suggest you reach out to the Smoky Mountain Chapter of BMW CCA but after looking at their website they appear to be dead in the water.  I was a member there when attending UT decades ago!  The Peachtree Chapter in GA is/was always more active.

https://www.smokymtnbmwcca.com/

https://peachtreebmwcca.org/

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Welcome! Ive been in TN 4 yrs. + in the Nashville area. I got my ‘72 2002 1.75 years ago (my 2nd). As Rob said above, theres a handful of others in this immediate area. Best of luck in your search. This website and its participants are a great resource. 

• Like 1