• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reuse Oil from Catch Can?

Fishfan

That's what most crankcase breathers do: they separate the oil and send it back into the engine... So yours just has a manual step added instead of gravity doing the job.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

If the water in has cooked off.  There is moisture in vent vapors and the cans aren't hot enough to boil off the water. (BMW discovered that on a design a few years ago with the vent systems freezing up in cold North American climates.)

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The frothy goo in my catch can does not look like engine oil, but my rings and/or valves are in a serious hurt. I would not reintroduce it into my engine. I'm a month away from rebuilding it.

The oil on the dipstick and when I changed the oil look fine, so I don't think I have coolant in my crankcase or anything.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

4 hours ago, JQ02 said:

The frothy goo in my catch can does not look like engine oil, but my rings and/or valves are in a serious hurt. I would not reintroduce it into my engine. I'm a month away from rebuilding it.

The oil on the dipstick and when I changed the oil look fine, so I don't think I have coolant in my crankcase or anything.

Mine has a little froth at the top and that's what made me doubt whether I wanted to pour it back in. I did do it the first time but have been having second thoughts ever since. That's why I figured I'd ask. My thought was that replacing the oil lost to the catch can with fresh oil certainly wouldn't hurt anything. Only a slight inconvenience and expense to do so.  

Edited by Fishfan

33 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

How much oil are we talking about? Oil is cheap why take the chance.

Not a ton, but not an insignificant amount. I think you're right. I mean, in a pinch if low on oil I think it wouldn't hurt but I have a 5 quart jug in the trunk so no need. 

When the engine is cold, you're gonna get some condensate mixed with the oil that is deposited in the can, so i think I'd put that oil in my recycling can.  The amount that's gonna accumulate in there (presuming you don't have worn rings or valve guides) is infinitesimal, so you're not saving a whole bunch of bucks!

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 months later...