• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new slave, new master tranny 'chunks'

ptegler

pretty sure it's not air in the hydraulics....
My Q revolves around the ball bearing and tallow soaked seal and plates of the tranny input shaft in the back of the crank.

Am I assuming correctly if these dry out, it will 'drag' the trans input shaft?  ( ...causing my issue(s) )
EG: reverse always 'chunks', unless I hold the lever against second ever so slightly, then shift quickly to reverse.
Neutral (at a stop light) will almost always 'chunk' going into first.

I haven't driven long enough to think about double clutching and the like.... just trying to understand, where I stand. Tranny was supposedly rebuilt, and I've played with larger master cyls (more throw) none of which seems to have changed my issue, hence my trying to understand what is dragging..making the gear spin when trying to shift.   TIA for any ideas/theories/flames...    🙂
ptegler

Are you sure the shifter bracket (the frame that supports the shift lever/linkage that's fastened to the tranny) is firmly fastened to the tranny casting, and the linkage isn't worn or loose?  Difficulty shifting into reverse is a symptom of a loose shifter bracket.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Not enough backstory to formulate a theory.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

4 spd or 5 spd ?

helpful to know

4 hours ago, ptegler said:

Am I assuming correctly if these dry out, it will 'drag' the trans input shaft?  ( ...causing my issue(s) )

That seems unlikely .

34 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Clutch master pushrod adjustment.

more likely, there is also adjustment at the pedal

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

hmmm.... clearing some cob webs...might be zero'ing in on my issue..... I haven't pulled the engine/tranny interface apart (yet?)
but when mucking about...  I did manage to have the throw out bearing arm slip off the pin when playing with the new slave cyl from underneath.  I thought i had it back in right or I'd hear all kinds of ruckus right? It does shift fine normally, it's just when the engine is spinning and the tranny output is not, you run into speed differences trying to go into gear (hench the crunch).
Having the clutch too tight would not create drag, rather limit it as needed (clutch would slip)

Edited by ptegler

1 minute ago, ptegler said:

?? stepping back...this is a hydraulic not mech clutch linkage... maybe I'm misunderstadning you comment

I'm sorry, not enough coffee yet, I confused the slave cyl with the master🤔.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944