• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polling the collective (*pic of car update)

conkitchen

2 hours ago, conkitchen said:

As I have been on hiatus from really participating here, it has been difficult to completely unplug.  

This place is like the Hotel California, You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave😎. Hope the sale goes well for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

40 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

I'm saying that value figure represents what it would likely take to buy all this stuff from a friend. 

Of course another persons POV is gonna be tainted by their wallet.  

that's what i would ask then...

their wallet is their issue, your price is your price

you've got to start somewhere...and you know more about values and demand than most on the board...go for it

1 minute ago, Son of Marty said:

This place is like the Hotel California, You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave😎. Hope the sale goes well for you.

Yeap, been livin-it-up since 1990

Edited by conkitchen
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

4 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Car is in need of bodywork

Theres the rub, how much bodywork and is it straightening  solid metal, replacing rusty metal or both? Difficult to express an opinion without that data however, at 18k I would expect a relatively solid car. even with the goodies.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 8/13/2023 at 6:48 PM, tech71 said:

Theres the rub, how much bodywork and is it straightening  solid metal, replacing rusty metal or both? Difficult to express an opinion without that data however, at 18k I would expect a relatively solid car. even with the goodies.

yes, of course actual condition dictates end results. I have been, and still working on it to sort much of it out and put back in place those things in need.  It will be a better car when on final offer.  It's a complete car. Again the convo goes along the lines of what is this package deal worth and not just the car.  But then again not everyone wants enough of a parts stash for two cars.  

It's currently a work in progress. Which is also a factor to take into account. I will have done a fair amount of work prepping this car for resale.  A fools errand perhaps, but that's a value add feature and is not to be slighted.  

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

14 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

But then again not everyone wants enough of a parts stash for two cars.  

Yeah, but their not on this board. I think maybe stock piling parts is where the money will continue to be made over the years. Car prices are trending down but parts are trending upward and will continue to do so as replacement parts are not the quality that they were.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 minute ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah, but their not on this board. I think maybe stock piling parts is where the money will continue to be made over the years. Car prices are trending down but parts are trending upward and will continue to do so as replacement parts are not the quality that they were.

If only I had stocked up on OEM Euro turn signals when they were $65 each and bought the several real Turbo's I passed on for less than $30k each.  I'd be a Millionaire Jerry! 

• Like 3

But what do I know

Interesting... she would make a good stable mate for a 76 in full resto and a 74 in engine rebuild, but logistics of moving the lot 3K miles would have to be considered in my case. 

Likely you will find a home for her at a satisfactory arrangement that will leave both parties pleased. She is the last year of the roundies, after all.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

• 5 weeks later...

Just in keeping with the topic I took these images: ALL of which is a work in progress.  1/3 the parts lot sorta inventoried.  

The black interior with matching cloth Recaro's is nice and clean now.  There actually is a good bones car under all that crust.  

But if any interested party is actually interested in talking a deal, I'm interested.  

AKAT3870.JPG

IMG_9194.JPG

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 3

But what do I know

I'll start the bidding at $100 😂

Sorry to see ya go, but it was fun while it lasted! I have the same issue with my 2002, but it's never going anywhere. It will sit a couple years if need be. Love that car way too darn much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 5 months later...
On 9/12/2023 at 8:24 PM, Mike G said:

I love that patina

What patina?  

Cause I like to kick a dead horse, or is that I like to be kicked to death by a horse, maybe it's I get a kick out of dead horses?  

In typical fashion I have provided Y'Allz a follow up. The dust is well just dust from my shop.  I don't like to wash my cars.  

The car formerly shown in it's glorious patina has now been unpatina'd. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b667de6bf4dd815fa316461c69dcdd19.jpeg

• Like 3

But what do I know