• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polling the collective (*pic of car update)

conkitchen

Esteemed board members. As I have been on hiatus from really participating here, it has been difficult to completely unplug.  That being said, I am making my final overture by offering the last of my project cars and the entire lot of parts I have. Then done.  Like Constanza on Seinfeld, once sold, that's it, I'm out!.  

Okay enough soap boxing: 

Here is the substance to this post regarding a future for-sale offering. 

I have a 73 2002 (the last of my project cars) with a few good things worth noting-highlights are it's got Recaros, a fresh motor (no paperwork, but I can tell it's healthy) bigger brakes all around, Weber 38/38, Momo wheel, VDO gauges, Crane 700 box and 002 dizzy plus 14" Fittipaldi style wheels. etc... Car is in need of bodywork and a trans as the 4 speed is noisy, but more details when go time. 

The second part of the proposed offering has to do with the entire parts lot.  It contains many fiddly bits, but also has big items worth noting. Those highlights are a known good 5 speed, 390 LSD, conversion parts for the install, two extra Recaros with rails/sliders, a crack free one piece dash, extra wheels, misc brake, interior, engine, and suspension parts, plus extra body items, like doors and the like.  Let's just say you will need a pick up truck to take it all home.  

So the simple question is this. 

I want to sell it all as a lot. I think the main audience belongs on this forum, yet most are singular item buyers. Of the rank and file selling forums out  there, it's gonna be hard to sell a truck load of parts along with a car to most people.  I could take the next year to piece out the lot at penny's on the dollar, but as with the recent past, it's a fools errand selling used items one at a time.    

I have done well on BAT, but only with completed cars. 

Craigslist is like a ghost town and when you do get a live one it's a chump asking questions answered already or just being a lame ass. 

Facebook, well that's just a crap shoot if you get a serious buyer, lot's of tire kickers.  

Ebay, at 12% plus listing fees, plus extra charges for shipping, it's a non-starter.  

Of course any real input worth anything would be based on much more details and pictures plus a list of what's included. I understand. In more ways it's more work to inventory the lot and take pictures than it is to just throw them in the trunk. But I'm willing to do the work. I just have this sense though in doing all that effort would be for little benefit, In the long run, my experiences have shown there are fewer builders buying than there are retail shoppers looking for completed cars.  

what say you?  

Soap box rant, over.  Let me have it! 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

25 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

I just have this sense though in doing all that effort would be for little benefit, In the long run, my experiences have shown there are fewer builders buying than there are retail shoppers looking for completed cars.  

Opinion: Little benefit.

The market appears to have slowed/turned downward on complete cars. Most folks here understand the work and expense involved in building a car; sensible buyers want a great deal, though you could get lucky finding the perfect buyer-match for your project. Consider: Sell it quick, wash your hands and walk away. -KB

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Consider: Sell it quick, wash your hands and walk away. -KB

Agreed, however there in lies the question of ALL questions. at what price? 

Forgot another highlight, it has Bilsteins too.  The price just keeps going up LOL 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

3 minutes ago, esty said:

you, standing in a potential buyers shoes, what is it all worth to you

Partly that is what I hope to ascertain with this discussion.  A first blush POV, a running driving car with enough parts for a second car build, plus the upgraded high interest stuff, puts my mind around $18K. But that's based on my extensive knowledge of these cars and the parts. So I'm saying that value figure represents what it would likely take to buy all this stuff from a friend. 

Of course another persons POV is gonna be tainted by their wallet.  

But what do I know

With almost no info to go on I’d say the car as described is probably 5k ish. Maybe more? But that would probably be the easy sale price. If you’re making someone take the whole parts lot the big items listed are worth 4kish so that number could probably get them to take it all. If you want someone to take the car and parts lot 8k? Could be a lot more depending on the condition of the car and parts. 

Sorry to see you are pulling  the pin as it were.

Your timing is impeccable in as much as I was just about to make a similar pitch concerning the situation I am faced with. I look forward to seeing  the response you receive with some nervousness. I hope it works out for you. Good luck,

8 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Ah, you posted while I was typing. I don’t think youll find a buyer at 18k as that opens up a lot of done, need nothing drivers cars vs a project and a pile of parts. 

Now we are approaching the apex of the value question. I see the logic. spend that money to have just a car semi done or buy a car in need of finishing plus a host of parts to sell off and or use in making a second car. The money plays out for a builder not a retail buyer. 

As I have suspected, the parts are likely no value-add to a car unless installed.  

Problem as I see it, sell the car is easy enough.

Sell the parts and it's splitting hairs over dollars and piecemeal conduct.  

But what do I know

13 minutes ago, joysterm said:

Sorry to see you are pulling  the pin as it were.

Your timing is impeccable in as much as I was just about to make a similar pitch concerning the situation I am faced with. I look forward to seeing  the response you receive with some nervousness. I hope it works out for you. Good luck,

out with a bang as they say

But what do I know