• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roundel orientation on wheels

Blue 02
Go to solution Solved by visionaut,

Just got done refinishing my FPS alloys and my CMR Boranni steel wheels and am ready to put in the center caps.  So, I thought I would ask - is there a specific orientation for the BMW roundel with respect to the air stem I should be doing?  Don't want to get to some Cars & Coffee and have someone say - looks good except!

Thanks

IMG_1103.jpeg

The caps for the OEM factory alloys (per your picture) snap in from the back side, so from the factory were oriented at whichever way Hans or Franz popped em in place. 

In fact, if you look at factory catalogs (both sales and accessory), those alloy center caps are shown with no roundels at all--they're blank.  Actually only 3 or 4 of the alloys I have had center caps with emblems when I bought 'em.  

Some years ago I checked with the folks at Mobile Tradition (now BMW Classic) and they told me that with or without roundels are both correct.  

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

… so from the factory were oriented at whichever way Hans or Franz popped em in place….

+1

Tom and John are certainly knowledgeable and lovable, but this time they’ve gone too far! 😁

I don’t know how to translate it into German, but I believe that in the 1970’s BMW factory, the supervisory guidance was “I don’t give a rat’s ass which way the center caps point; keep the car moving!” 🙄

I intend to go out to the garage immediately to make certain my center caps are 100% random. Just try to stop me! 😋

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The caps for the OEM factory alloys (per your picture) snap in from the back side, so from the factory were oriented at whichever way Hans or Franz popped em in place. 

In fact, if you look at factory catalogs (both sales and accessory), those alloy center caps are shown with no roundels at all--they're blank.  Actually only 3 or 4 of the alloys I have had center caps with emblems when I bought 'em.  

Some years ago I checked with the folks at Mobile Tradition (now BMW Classic) and they told me that with or without roundels are both correct.  

mike

I'm sure like you've said - it was however Hans and Franz did it that day!!!

On my NOS sets of regular full wheel hub caps I did notice that the "M" lines up approximately with the valve stem holes on all the caps. Stem hole directly over the top of the "M". Here are some old ones from an old Hemmings ad.

Original BMW 2002 Hub Caps, Hub & Center Cap for sale - Hemmings Motor News

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
add
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s an official photos thing… so I’ve always followed their lead.

Actually a few of Hoffman’s ad photos show it in John’s orientation, I suspect the American photo crews didn’t get the OCD memo. ;)

The rarest orientation is both roundels matched horizontally for a shot. But then someone rolls the car around and you get random. They’ve now solved that with the spinner caps available on newer BMWs - they’re always horizontal.

BMW-2002-tii-profile.jpeg

• Like 3

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

On 5/21/2023 at 4:33 PM, visionaut said:

It’s an official photos thing… so I’ve always followed their lead.

Actually a few of Hoffman’s ad photos show it in John’s orientation, I suspect the American photo crews didn’t get the OCD memo. ;)

The rarest orientation is both roundels matched horizontally for a shot. But then someone rolls the car around and you get random. They’ve now solved that with the spinner caps available on newer BMWs - they’re always horizontal.

BMW-2002-tii-profile.jpeg

I’m guessing that the BMW Classic and brochure photography teams were allotted a tad more time to align center caps than a ca. 1972 assembly line team…

I did, however, find Mike’s wheel cover post interesting!

By April 1977, I had totally screwed up the alignment on my ‘76’s center caps — below! 😉

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_1427.jpeg

IMG_1427.jpeg

IMG_1427.jpeg

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

38 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’m guessing that the BMW Classic and brochure photography teams are allotted a tad more time to align center caps than a ca. 1972 assembly line team…

Agreed.

Don't WE all have enough time to do it proper too?  😉  Details, details..

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

3 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

On my NOS sets of regular full wheel hub caps I did notice that the "M" lines up approximately with the valve stem holes on all the caps. Stem hole directly over the top of the "M". Here are some old ones from an old Hemmings ad.

Original BMW 2002 Hub Caps, Hub & Center Cap for sale - Hemmings Motor News

+1  Mine are aligned like this.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.