Jump to content
  • When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C options


Pdxguy

Recommended Posts

Looking at purchasing an A/C unit. Actually, replacing the original Clardy that I purchased but never installed and ended up selling. Two options for new units I see are D-Technic which seems to be a Hurricane heater and A/C combo that replaces the heater box. Other option is Ice-Air, I believe the new iteration of the original Clardy unit. 

 

The Hurricane option eliminates fresh air, but also is advertised as minimizing gas smell in the cabin as it isn't pulling from right next to the engine. I am installing side drafts so I understand, the gas smell is part of it with the traditional heater box. 

 

Ice-Air is a proven unit, just difficult to find out what the specifications are for the individual components from the company. Sanden clone or original, size and type of condenser, fan strength (CFU) etc. I have sent messages and he refers me to the installation instructions which lack any specifications. 

 

Any thoughts of the likelihood of minimizing gas smell vs loss of fresh air?

 

Thanks,

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd think twice about giving up any fresh airflow other than opening windows...particularly if you're driving in damp conditions, you'll want heated outside air to prevent fogging your glass on the inside when you're on "recirculate" rather than "fresh" setting.  

 

WRT gas fumes coming in through the heater:  so long as the heater plenum chamber seals are all in good shape:  the hood seal, the two side seals and especially the "duck lips"/ "elephant trunks"  (drains), you shouldn't have any fumes coming through the heater.  

 

More than a few folks on the FAQ have installed ICE units and they seem to be happy with'em.  My old Frigiking chugs along with a replacement rotary compressor, but I rarely use it as it's just not that effective, especially in city traffic.  

 

mike

  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ICEAC kit is a complete bolt in including all electricals, I've installed 3 with good success (Not a pro, I do my own stunts)

 

57503174_2229667693748283_1831939006422581248_o.thumb.jpg.2d72df7b9ca433dc0a0c74ec74cc28a4.jpg

 

Kooglewerks Face added: 

57581529_2244079832307069_3715459534983004160_o.thumb.jpg.2b013fa155647a37d2af03672115d331.jpg

 

29low.thumb.jpg.1772fe7dd7d1bcc4e57a85a8e00d1dc5.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by chargin
  • Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have also bit the bullet and purchased the ICEAC kit. It is very complete, and generally good quality (at least as good as the original Clardy). It's very cold (much colder than my 2018 VW GTI). No strange smells after 3 years of operation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chargin said:

The ICEAC kit is a complete bolt in including all electricals, I've installed 3 with good success (Not a pro, I do my own stunts)

 

57503174_2229667693748283_1831939006422581248_o.thumb.jpg.2d72df7b9ca433dc0a0c74ec74cc28a4.jpg

 

Kooglewerks Face added: 

57581529_2244079832307069_3715459534983004160_o.thumb.jpg.2b013fa155647a37d2af03672115d331.jpg

 

29low.thumb.jpg.1772fe7dd7d1bcc4e57a85a8e00d1dc5.jpg

 

 

 

 

+1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appreciate the input and photos all.

 

Is there anything the Icear unit does not include? Compressor bracket, face plate, anything I will need to source?

 

my car is at the body shop now, about to go to paint ( for three months..:)  Is there a template I can give to the body guy to know where the lines go through before he starts paint?

 

thanks,

Dennis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, M3M3M3 said:

and of course the best A/C for a 2002 is to......buy an E30 to drive in the hot time of year...

+1  the best solution.  The A/C on my 318is functions just like the one in almost any American car 😉...

  • Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

Appreciate the input and photos all.

 

Is there anything the Icear unit does not include? Compressor bracket, face plate, anything I will need to source?

 

my car is at the body shop now, about to go to paint ( for three months..:)  Is there a template I can give to the body guy to know where the lines go through before he starts paint?

 

thanks,

Dennis

 

The unit includes everything you need, though I found that the console faceplate provided with the kit was not configured right for my desired accessories.  So I bought a faceplate from Kooglewerks that was more to my liking and worked with that:image.thumb.jpeg.ba43f85d76204599a21ac13f16655db3.jpegAs to drilling holes, as I recall you kind of have to “place-fit” hoses and lines as you go.  There’s no slack at the firewall — placement must be pretty precise for the kit hoses to work, so you want your evaporator box/blower mocked up in place so you can see where the lines must exit.  Careful not to drill into a brake line or something else you’ll regret!image.thumb.jpeg.4e5e916cd4c29aa8e0ee1d1a1a3f0224.jpeg And at the front apron your placement of the dryer bottle may be guided by where existing stuff is.  My bay was pretty clean…image.thumb.jpeg.094454989b64491618ff61b040316a09.jpeg If I were in your situation, I’d just keep some paint or clearcoat handy, drill holes using one of the conical bits you get from Horrible Freight, dab on the paint around the bare metal edges of the hole and not worry about it.  The cut edges are either under carpet or covered by grommets anyway.  

 

Also, the ICE instructions are challenging enough for the dedicated owner paranoid about getting it wrong; I’d hate to see them in the hands of a hungover paint pro.  

  • Like 4

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

there anything the Icear unit does not include? Compressor bracket, face plate, anything I will need to source?

 

Really everything is included just like in the late 70's, that being said YES there are some things you may want to change.

 

As above the Kooglewerks face plate adds 2 Gauges, I also added a USB charger to the passenger side, another thing I like is a manual over ride switch to turn on the electric front fan while in traffic with the AC off. 

Also I wasn't a fan of the hose routing. 

 

I added a Bulkhead fitting and relocated the charge ports, my latest install was not on an M10 but I would do the same Hose changes anyway with the thinner more flexible AC hose with the hold down clamps as well 

 

How ICEAC envisions the Hose routing also note the lower charge ports: 

58906014_2256160457765673_7577082442045980672_n.thumb.jpg.4b7b2418d5aa9fa14d2301f3f36d9a8c.jpg

 

Bulkhead fitting:

07.23(3).thumb.jpg.006004f789f74bfede8bbfdb220d1bb5.jpg

 

My Hose redirect with new charge ports:

08(2).thumb.jpg.438f5f1a4c8ca65c045c55407b41a6d5.jpg

 

With a Denso Compressor:

23.8.thumb.jpg.7bf7b3407c4476b654f9fc5a46bb982a.jpg

 

 

Full install on M10 here:

 

 

Edited by chargin
  • Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chargin said:

 

Really everything is included just like in the late 70's, that being said YES there are some things you may want to change.

 

As above the Kooglewerks face plate adds 2 Gauges, I also added a USB charger to the passenger side, another thing I like is a manual over ride switch to turn on the electric front fan while in traffic with the AC off. 

Also I wasn't a fan of the hose routing. 

 

I added a Bulkhead fitting and relocated the charge ports, my latest install was not on an M10 but I would do the same Hose changes anyway with the thinner more flexible AC hose with the hold down clamps as well 

 

How ICEAC envisions the Hose routing also note the lower charge ports: 

58906014_2256160457765673_7577082442045980672_n.thumb.jpg.4b7b2418d5aa9fa14d2301f3f36d9a8c.jpg

 

Bulkhead fitting:

07.23(3).thumb.jpg.006004f789f74bfede8bbfdb220d1bb5.jpg

 

My Hose redirect with new charge ports:

08(2).thumb.jpg.438f5f1a4c8ca65c045c55407b41a6d5.jpg

 

With a Denso Compressor:

23.8.thumb.jpg.7bf7b3407c4476b654f9fc5a46bb982a.jpg

 

 

Full install on M10 here:

 

 

I approve of this message.🙋🏼‍♂️

  • Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

  • Supporting Vendors

×
×
  • Create New...