• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long euro bumper lining up on ‘76 2002

mhoffperson

I have a 1976 2002, on which I am interested in installing a smaller European-style bumper (long) at the rear. I have admired such bumpers on many cars in several photos. My only concern is that when I look at many of the pictures online with the euro bumper installed, the ends that wrap around the quarter panels on each side appear to be angled slightly upward to meet the height of the knee trim that runs down each side of the car. I am unsure if this is because the knee trim is slightly higher on big bumper cars than on the 72/73 models where the knee trim was introduced or because the indent in which the bumper rests below the license is at a slightly different height than on Roundtail cars. Of course, the third possibility is that people are not as careful when they are lining everything up before they tighten the nuts.

Can you confirm if I am right or wrong, or if the pictures are merely showing inconsistent installations? I want to make sure what is needed to make things line up and I would appreciate it if I could figure it out before purchasing the bumper and possibly drilling new holes after my paint job to ensure everything lines up correctly.

Keep in mind tht if you install a long Euro (chrome) bumper on your '76, you'll have to remove the knee trim that extends from the rear of the wheel opening to the rear body panel seam.  Otherwise it'll be under the chrome bumper.  So you'll want to fill in those holes, and drill a new one (if necessary) to support the ends of the chrome bumper where it runs alongside the quarter panel.

AFAIK the knee molding is the same height on modell 71 roundies as on squarelights--I can't imagine the factory altering that just for US spec cars...

And since your '76 already has holes drilled in the rear panel (and plugged with small plastic plugs) for a chrome bumper, you'll get it at the correct height by using them.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well surely the bumper ends should not be pointing upwards but also I don't think there is any of those differences in bodywork you're referring. I think it's that many who have changed from big bumpers to euro didn't really know how they should fit, therefore lot of pictures of not so perfect installations. Also it depends a lot on the viewing angle how it looks and aligns so pictures can lie.

Here is a really nice car that is been converted with good results. I think the sideview here shows how the alignment should be.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1974-BMW-2002-194029

I have seen a drilling diagram for the knee trim holes, that I used when I replaced quarter panels of my euro 1502. Sorry that I couldn't find it now. It would show that the kneeline trim actually turns a bit downward at the section behind the door to align with bumper. Here is my own car where all  the panels are replace at the rear section so it's not a perfect example but I tried to do good work when installing all that.

post-218-13667642105295.jpg

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Those bumpers can look wonky from certain angles.  Strongly suggest fully installing them prior to paint.   if thats an option.  I went with the longer bumpers also along with the over riders.  My car is in paint shop now.  Glad I fully installed them while in primer.   They are awkward  and tricky in my opinion.  It took a few attempts to orientate the hardware correctly.  (I did buy my stainless steel set  several years ago and at the time a homegrown bracket kit was best option, now the blunt kits may be easier) It was good to let them hang on the primer-ed car for a while to keep tweaking them and looking at from a distance etc.  My body guy never worked on these cars so it was a learning experience.  This also gave opportunity to weld up square cut plates in front to fit snug with brackets.  As well as welding into the extra holes rather than just filling or plugging them.  Just my o2 .  fred

• Like 1

Just dangerous thinking on my part, but before you go the route of the style used on say, a '72 US car, shown in the pics above with the black buffer strip; make sure it's available.

Which I think not.

But, you might find a long arm style without the holes for the strip in chrome only.

Dunno.