Jump to content
  • When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WUR hose connection question


Pablo M

Recommended Posts

Replacing the dry rot and disconnected WUR hose, the hose to the underside of throttle body. Found it looking like it was plugged and left hanging at WUR end. 
(edit: 1972 2002tii)
 

what I pulled out as a plug, I thought was the connection at the WUR, doesn’t look like it would have a hose connected to it so makes me wonder if it’s not related to the WUR and was really a plug. 
the WUR end does have a hole where I’d expect. 
Is this the connector that screws into WUR and the hose connects to it? 
 

image.thumb.jpeg.c18106c67e54fb9a6785f813d8ee2240.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.2df1d4065aa53a666020beb13ce9cd23.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4d5690d2beafca76e195b42350846fdf.jpeg

 

the dry rot:

image.thumb.jpeg.13ff6b271ec7284a832aeb7f07dbd51c.jpeg

yes, I have a new hose for this. 

Edited by Pablo M

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pablo M said:

 
Is this the connector that screws into WUR and the hose connects to it? 

No, I have never seen a piece like that on a tii before. The WUR has a simple pipe fitting that the hose slips over.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

The early plastic runner tii intake comes with a removable fitting (#18 in graphic)on the bottom.  Aluminum runner intake has a cast in boss.

B26D3CA8-8C31-4956-A821-9120778FF6E7.jpeg

Thanks. Sorry, but I’m referring to the connection at the Kfisher. I should have been more clear. And yes, the 72 I have has plastic runners. 

35 minutes ago, dlacey said:

No, I have never seen a piece like that on a tii before. The WUR has a simple pipe fitting that the hose slips over.

That’s what I was afraid of. I’m dead in the water until I can source that. I don’t even know what I’m looking for. Thanks! 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There shouldn’t be a threaded connection on the warm up regulator.

 

There is a threaded connection at the upper coolant branch fitting that supplies coolant TO the KF warm up regulator, but it doesn’t look like your fitting.

9AD75066-6093-4156-AD79-EA7F33DCC5A8.jpeg

Jim Gerock

 

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a plug.

 

#18 is the nipple on the intake log to which the hose fits, the other side goes to the WUR. On early engines it's a fitting, like a water fitment, on late it's cast in, like mentioned above.

 

My guess is that the last "mechanic" who worked on it didn't have or couldn't get a new hose to stem the massive vacuum leak.

 

Sneaky!

 

So just replace the hose; one of the benefits of a plastic runner engine is you can take off a runner easily to get to the clamp, which of course you already have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

that looks to be a R134a AC fitting, looks like it was just used to connect the hose to somewhere on the engine, but where  I don't know.  I don't know much about Tii setups, so I can't help you there. I do have what is the remainder of the fitting off the intake of my car. I measured the threads and they measure around 17.7mm (with a cheapy HB digital caliper) but it is so corroded that it is useless.. perhaps this is what you need

 

 

 

IMG_2051.jpg.757b455b2248e394fe16a233f6a45d1d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With an odd metric size like 17.7 mm--and the fact that the installed fitting looks like it's from an A/C system--it may well be either SAE or pipe thread...worth taking to your local hardware store/industrial supply house and see if you can match up those threads...

 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Einspritz said:

It's a plug.

 

#18 is the nipple on the intake log to which the hose fits, the other side goes to the WUR. On early engines it's a fitting, like a water fitment, on late it's cast in, like mentioned above.

 

My guess is that the last "mechanic" who worked on it didn't have or couldn't get a new hose to stem the massive vacuum leak.

 

Sneaky!

 

So just replace the hose; one of the benefits of a plastic runner engine is you can take off a runner easily to get to the clamp, which of course you already have.

 

7 hours ago, larry_in_socal said:

that looks to be a R134a AC fitting, looks like it was just used to connect the hose to somewhere on the engine, but where  I don't know.  I don't know much about Tii setups, so I can't help you there. I do have what is the remainder of the fitting off the intake of my car. I measured the threads and they measure around 17.7mm (with a cheapy HB digital caliper) but it is so corroded that it is useless.. perhaps this is what you need

 

 

 

IMG_2051.jpg.757b455b2248e394fe16a233f6a45d1d.jpg

 

5 hours ago, Einspritz said:

 

This is what it is. Sorry I'm not going to take it off, because the corrosion might mucks it up.

IMG_20230226_123450.thumb.jpg.6e4f003c1376a31002cf470dbdc7f7a0.jpg

 

 

 

I appreciate you guys trying to help but this isnt it at all. This is the connection at the intake. I am referring to the connection at the other end of the hose that attaches to that part, and it connects to the WUR. I tried to be clear about that in my original post.

 

There is a hole on the lower engine-facing side of the WUR. The piece I photographed above did not fit well into that hole and I suspected it to be just a plug, which seems to be confirmed from comments above.

 

Again, to be clear, I'm talking about the part that connects the hose to the WUR, not to the intake. I went back out to feel around some more and I think I was mistaken in that I was feeling a hole in a surface (biased from thinking I had a piece that went into a hole perhaps) and now I realize it was the end of the cast nipple. I think I can get the hose over that nipple and I should be good. I'll report back. 

 

Thanks again for everyones patience with my questions!

 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And, for those still viewing this thread, there isn’t a fitting on the Warm up regulator like the “plug” used on Pablo’s 72tii.  No doubt someone added it to get rid of the nasty leak caused by a failed hose.  Typically, the tii will not idle correctly, and the idle will be really high. An old, uncracked hose may be damaged while removing the pump from the engine.

5D130348-CC65-4D5F-A7FA-699488D7B54C.jpeg

Jim Gerock

 

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

And, for those still viewing this thread, there isn’t a fitting on the Warm up regulator like the “plug” used on Pablo’s 72tii.  No doubt someone added it to get rid of the nasty leak caused by a failed hose.  Typically, the tii will not idle correctly, and the idle will be really high. An old, uncracked hose may be damaged while removing the pump from the engine.

5D130348-CC65-4D5F-A7FA-699488D7B54C.jpeg

Thanks Jim. The upper right fitting is where the hose goes. The threaded insert in my post appears to have been used only to plug the hose. No idea why they would go to the trouble, and yes, my idle is terrible. Hoping new hose will solve that-or I'll discover why they plugged the hose lol.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

  • Supporting Vendors

×
×
  • Create New...