• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone install the MVP/IE Spare Tire Wheel Well?

bmw_e30

Mine has a bunch of pin holes so it's time to replace it but was wondering if anyone has done it before?

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

FYI...if upon further prodding the pinholes don't turn into gaping holes, and you're not going for an Amelia Island/Pebble Beach concours restoration, some POR 15 paste--and possibly small bits of fiberglass window screen if the holes are larger than 1/2 inch or so--will give you a very permanent repair with a whole lot less grief than cutting out and welding in a whole new spare tire well...

I've used this method of patching on daily drivers in salt country, and it's held up for some few years...

Just a thought.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I am in the process of that now.. among other areas of the car and other projects.

If you have a california car you should not have much rust. 

This is the video the MVP people send one to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRQOR0nekv0

I myself am not going to butt weld but am going to use 3M Panel bonding adhesive. 

The part itself is wonderful.   I was going to do an E30 tire well but this is better in some ways. ( I saw an E30 extra depth install and the rear view looked silly).

Another forum link https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/167443-spare-tire-well-replacement-question/

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

FYI...if upon further prodding the pinholes don't turn into gaping holes, and you're not going for an Amelia Island/Pebble Beach concours restoration, some POR 15 paste--and possibly small bits of fiberglass window screen if the holes are larger than 1/2 inch or so--will give you a very permanent repair with a whole lot less grief than cutting out and welding in a whole new spare tire well...

I've used this method of patching on daily drivers in salt country, and it's held up for some few years...

Just a thought.

mike

my tow hook ripped out and there isnt enough metal to weld it back so this is the best solution my body shop said

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

39 minutes ago, bmw_e30 said:

my tow hook ripped out and there isnt enough metal to weld it back so this is the best solution my body shop said

Those tow hooks were pretty flimsy to begin with.

You might want to add a better tow hook attached to the bumper or rear subframe.

The MVP spare tire well is a nice stamping. The only criticism I have is they use a smaller stud for the tie down. So when I replace a spare tire well,AEBA1BF5-6120-496F-A6C3-441A41047A9C.thumb.jpeg.42ace15615021af4c22740f9cdddfaf7.jpeg I’ll remove the tie down from the old panel and spot weld it into the new panel. That way the spare tie down stud is the same diameter and thread pitch as the lug nuts. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jmbeatt2 said:

The MVP spare tire well is a nice stamping. The only criticism I have is they use a smaller stud for the tie down. So when I replace a spare tire well, I’ll remove the tie down from the old panel and spot weld it into the new panel. That way the spare tie down stud is the same diameter and thread pitch as the lug nuts. 

I replaced the full floor with new OEM metal when it was still available over ten years ago. It had the same issue and I did the same thing. MVP probably copied the OEM replacement panel to the detail of the wrong stud. Really nice work BTW!

Edited by Tommy
  • Haha 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Right there with you, @jmbeatt2.  Slowly work my way down the drivers side. I like the idea of bonding if access to the entire top perimeter was clear, but I’m not planning on removing the pieces on the left and rear side of the trunk.  

My plan is to cut the spare part to fit in that back section section, then trim the car away to match the piece everywhere else and butt weld everything.  A little tedious but it seems like the fastest way.  Maybe cutting the original out just as it rounds the top bend and laying the new piece on top and plug welding would be a little faster. Hmmm.  

hopefully I’ll be in that area in another week or two.  Was not planning on replacing my rear subframe body mounts which cost me a lot of time.  

springtime is coming - get crackin’!!

D52950B5-BF40-42EF-8717-B8BF6136B888.jpeg

The part is a quality part. I just fitted yesterday.

Beware if you have a car with diving boards -I have a 1974- as there is structural brackets in the trunk that makes the installation more difficult. The tub doesn't just drop in. I needed fold the ridge up in 2 spots too get it in. If you have an earlier car the installation will be simple as in the YouTube video.

Regards

Dono

@jmbeatt2 can you confirm that it’s just the thread size of the hold down “bolt”  that is not the standard OEM? My 02 is at the bodyshop right now and they literally just told me last week they installed the new tire wheel piece, but I had no idea that it was different. Hoping they didn’t throw out the original one already. 

E51C5003-3D03-4F5A-8C13-BDD02326E334.thumb.jpeg.af5c4ab2e497096091cc775ec6216970.jpeg

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels