• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 on S14 Block Issues

Mark92131
Go to solution Solved by jimk,

I hope there isn't contact again because there was more interference than that small mark on the casting when I had the hit.  It was with the starter rolling the engine and the mark was quite a bit more. 

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

9 minutes ago, M3M3M3 said:
  • or, the PP can do the clearancing for you....😎
  • 20210913_154400.jpg
  •  

I hope you can still touch your toes.  That's massive and not to be considered trivial.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

If you are installing a e30 m3 engine into a 2002, why are you using a 245 transmission that will not take the power of the m motor?  the 245 trans is a 2002 trans withe overdrive, the motonic m3 engine is a exclent system, addig a aftermarket injection to the motor is a can of worms that is not needed, the next thing people do is add horsepower to the m3 engine, then a simpler fuel injection alpha N is used,  and the 245  trans is willfuly inadiqute ,  my last M2 build included the correct M3 bell housing, and the larger m3/635 transmission and guibo ?  you think a modfied M3 running a 2002/320i guibo is going to last more than a hour of hard driving good luck with that,  buildit right from the start and you wont be doing it over again  Bruce Mtuner

Actually, the 245 transmission can take an S14, at least if you don't drop the clutch and take it easy on the driveline.  I've had the S14/245 combo for many years and many track days with no problems.  As a bonus it fits better and is lighter than a 265.  But either transmission works fine with the S14 in the 2002.

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

2 hours ago, m-tuner said:

addig a aftermarket injection to the motor is a can of worms that is not needed, the next thing people do is add horsepower to the m3 engine, then a simpler fuel injection alpha N is used

Didn't want to cut up my transmission tunnel to fit the Getrag 265, street build, so stock S14, using Alpha N with MAP overlay for injection management and bullet-proof EDIS-4 ignition (no modification to the Getrag 245 for sensors).  Thank you for your feedback.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update...  If you are using a Getrag 245 transmission without installing sensors for the stock Motronic ECU on your S14 and using the S14 flywheel and Pressure Plate, the timing lug on the S14 flywheel will touch the inside of the Getrag 245 bell housing.  After taking a small amount of material off the leading edge of the timing lug, I was able to clear the first bump in the bell housing, but not the next bump.  Not wanting to remove any additional material from the timing lug, I used a dremel to smooth out the bump.  Thinking I was good, I reinstalled the trans to the motor, turned the motor over, and clunk, the lug was hitting the boss for the timing mark hole.  It took me 2 tries to clear enough material from the timing mark hole boss to successfully spin the motor without interference.

A side note...  I was using the 323i Clutch Release Bearing (M10 228mm flywheel and Pressure Plate) for the Getrag 245 install, but the S14 flywheel and Pressure Plate combination is larger, so I ordered the shorter M3 Clutch Release Bearing.  This significantly changed the transmission mating issues I was having before.  During the multiple reinstalls with the M3 Clutch Release Bearing, the transmission would mate with a satisfying clunk.

Hoping to install the subframe on Friday.

Mark92131

69914643292__FD62D361-F2F8-4CB4-8BB3-37E0354C2876.JPG

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 2/19/2023 at 11:24 AM, m-tuner said:

If you are installing a e30 m3 engine into a 2002, why are you using a 245 transmission that will not take the power of the m motor?  the 245 trans is a 2002 trans withe overdrive, the motonic m3 engine is a exclent system, addig a aftermarket injection to the motor is a can of worms that is not needed, the next thing people do is add horsepower to the m3 engine, then a simpler fuel injection alpha N is used,  and the 245  trans is willfuly inadiqute ,  my last M2 build included the correct M3 bell housing, and the larger m3/635 transmission and guibo ?  you think a modfied M3 running a 2002/320i guibo is going to last more than a hour of hard driving good luck with that,  buildit right from the start and you wont be doing it over again  Bruce Mtuner

Sorry, none of that is true.

245 trans is plenty strong enough behind a modified S14.

And the six bolt guibo is completely up to the task.

Or maybe I am just imagining my 245 trans and 2002 guibo survived 7000 hard track miles behind a cammed, alpha-n, carbon airboxed, chipped S14 with a race clutch?

• Like 2

2xM3