• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Mating (last 1/2 Inch)

Mark92131

Mating my Getrag 245 to the S14, I've run into a snag.  I used the guide pin method to mate the two together, but I can't get it to snap closed.  It seems stuck with a 1/2 inch gap no matter how much rocking, wiggling and pushing I do.  The splines seem engaged, because turning the front pully turns the output shaft of the transmission.  I could use some of the bolts to try and pull the pieces together, but am worried that there could be other issues afoot (dirty transmission splines, wrong release bearing, mismatched pilot bearing), that could be damaged in the process.  When the trans is completely mated, does the release bearing touch the fingers of the clutch pressure plate, engage the fingers of the pressure plate, or sit above the fingers of the pressure plate? I may use some clay to see where the release bearing sits with 1/2 inch to go.

Mark92131

IMG_3614.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Just by your pic, trans not aligned with engine.  It needs to be perfectly square to slide on the whole way.  If at an angle the nose of input shaft will not get into the bearing.

Did you get a tool to center the clutch disk?

It is it in gear so you can use output flange to rotate unit shaft?

• Like 2

2xM3

As what M3M3M3 said abtou alignment.  Block or tie up the front of the engine so it doesn't tilt down when the tail shaft of the transmission is raised. 

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

All the above.  My 245 was a bear to get in till I figured out that there was a tiny deformation on the end of the input shaft.  It just wouldn’t snug into the pilot bearing till I grinded one corner a bit.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Maybe the photo is just as it hangs when you took the picture and you have had it "square".  I would pull the tranny back out and be sure the pilot bearing fits nicely on the front of the shaft  If So , Lube the pilot bearing and go back to pushing and shoving until it goes "clunk"  You can try pulling it in by the bolts but it has to "clunk" to be right  You'll know when it happens

Best regards

• Like 1

The trans was sagging slightly when I stopped to take the picture.  During the pushing and wiggling, I was supporting the back of the trans to square it to the block.  I still would not fully seat.  I used the tool to center the clutch disk and the pilot bearing was fully seated in the rear of the crank which may have made the install more difficult.  The trans has been in my parts stash for years and the input shaft had a bit of surface rust/corrosion that I tried cleaning up before the install.  I coated the input shaft with a thin coat of grease, but didn't coat the pilot bearing or clutch disk.  I thought about pulling it and starting over, but I tried pulling it in with the top and bottom bolts first.  It didn't take a lot of effort, but it closed the gap pretty easily and clunked in to place while turning one of the bottom bolts.

I suspect that my marginal cleaning of the input shaft and not lubing the deep seated pilot bearing was causing the hanging up problem.  Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Mark92131

IMG_3615.JPG

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)