• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ft. Right blinker works, parking lamp doesn't.

Scottjeffrey
Go to solution Solved by John76,

Presume this is a later car (bulge turn signal lenses) with a single, two filament bulb vs the two (one large, one small) bulbs used on the 68 and 69 cars.  With that said...d

First make sure you're getting 12 volts at the parking light wire--use a voltmeter to check.  If you are, then check the ground; make sure the mounting screw is properly grounding the assembly to the body--although with the turn signal functioning properly, the ground should be OK.  If you have +12 v at the wire, then...

Take a close look at the two + contacts that (are supposed to) touch the two little contacts on the base of the bulb.  I'll bet the one serving the parking light filament isn't quite touching or has a spot of corrosion on it.  With the bulb removed, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, the gently bend the contact until it firmly touches the bulb base.  Temporarily ground the whole unit to the body with a jumper wire, and see if the parking light works.  

mike

• Thanks 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Presume this is a later car (bulge turn signal lenses) with a single, two filament bulb vs the two (one large, one small) bulbs used on the 68 and 69 cars.  With that said...d

First make sure you're getting 12 volts at the parking light wire--use a voltmeter to check.  If you are, then check the ground; make sure the mounting screw is properly grounding the assembly to the body--although with the turn signal functioning properly, the ground should be OK.  If you have +12 v at the wire, then...

Take a close look at the two + contacts that (are supposed to) touch the two little contacts on the base of the bulb.  I'll bet the one serving the parking light filament isn't quite touching or has a spot of corrosion on it.  With the bulb removed, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, the gently bend the contact until it firmly touches the bulb base.  Temporarily ground the whole unit to the body with a jumper wire, and see if the parking light works.  

mike

Thanks, Mike!

11 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Take a close look at the two + contacts that (are supposed to) touch the two little contacts on the base of the bulb.  I'll bet the one serving the parking light filament isn't quite touching

+1  On my car, those brass contact strips can rotate while tightening the wire clamping screws and then miss the bulb's contact.

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

+1  On my car, those brass contact strips can rotate while tightening the wire clamping screws and then miss the bulb's contact.

Thank you my friend. I took care of that without any luck. Have discovered there is no voltage in that one wire. Lucky me. trace, trace...

Hope you are well.

Scott