• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyno'd My Car

11 minutes ago, bmw_e30 said:

you can buy a brand new 2023 mitsubishi mirage with 78hp and 3 cylinders of powa

https://www.caranddriver.com/mitsubishi/mirage

To the point of how the feel of the car matters, C&D describe the CVT having Mirage as "When driven on city streets and highways, the Mirage exhibits lackluster acceleration. Heavy throttle inputs are required just to keep up with traffic, and the engine gets raucous when pushed—which is most of the time the car is running."

Looking at their performance results (0-60 in 10.6-10.9s), its acceleration is on par with most 2002s in their current state.  But, I wouldn't say 2002s are lackluster in any respect.  My '02 feels sporty, even if its not that fast.

• Haha 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

On 1/4/2023 at 9:01 AM, manimal said:

Miata, 2320 with a tank of gas which is probably what most roundies with the typical upgrades weigh(Recaros, 5spd, sway bars, volvo/e21 brakes, and 15" wheels). 

Sure Miatas are fun, BUT, does a Miata have adult sized back seats, a trunk that can hold even half as much as an ‘02 can, a fixed roof? Mazda goes above and beyond to keep Miatas light weight and fun at a reasonable price. Wouldn’t it be AWESOME if a car company did that with a small sporty SEDAN, hatch, or wagon/touring? Apples and oranges, again. 

• Like 2

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, jp5Touring said:

Hey @72MetallicMalaga  did you get your high rpm lean numbers figured out ?

I'm have the sane problem above 4000-4500  with my DCOE"S also. 

130 main, f16,  170 acc. Tryin 60f8 idle jet with little luck. Float level seems to be correct also.

Curious what jets your running.

Not yet, it wasn't really too bad of a lean, so I was going to dig into it during a fuel pump/fuel pressure reg/fuel line upgrade project over the summer.

I'm out of town right now, but when i'm back i'll pull the jets and report back here.

• Thanks 1

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

I want to play AGAIN!

Mustangs have a bit of a reputation for being stingy. 125 peak hp, and 111 lb-ft. The power curve climbs all the way to 7k -- no 6k plateau.

On a Dyno-Jet, my car made almost 130 peak hp and about 120 lb-ft of torque. This was with the Jenvey setup. For reference, with the 318i (e30) intake, the car made about 125 peak hp and 125 lb-ft, but it stopped making power at about 6k. Video clip of that pull is on page two of this thread.

We're getting ready to experiment with some small setup changes soon. I can repost then.

• Like 3

Nah.  If it's going lean once the main jet is fully flowing,

less air in the emulsion mixture richens it up.  

I have air correctors going down to 120 or so in the kit, and sometimes end up using them...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

13 hours ago, Chris_B said:

It really depends on the size of the chokes installed, doesn't it?

Yes and no. The choke is more about air speed, but there is a threshold in both directions because of the actual volume of air getting past the choke. If you go maybe two sizes smaller, you're speeding air up significantly, but the total volume is lower. So if a 40 choke works with a 165 main and 185 air, if I went to a 42 choke, I would go to a 175 main and 190 air. A 44 choke would probably need closer to a 185 main and 200 air. (these numbers are 48 DCO specific, in my case). This isn't for correcting a problem, though. This is for moving power bands around in a car that is already dialed in. If I was wanting to improve flat out, bigger chokes. If I wanted to improve lower rpm responsiveness, smaller chokes.

In the lean OPs situation, as Toby said.

Edited by Furry Camel
Trying to make it sound reasonable.
  • Like 1

I went to 160 air and also dropped 125 on mains.  I have 55f9 idle seem to help but still lean at the top.

Would like 50f9 idle that I would need to buy. Even lower on air ? would need to get those also  say 150/155 air.

Chokes are 33.  Motor has Kooglewerks header and exhaust dual 40's  I have 123 distributer to install also.

Sorry to high jack thread  Mike.

thx

jim

So making a jet change AND an air corrector change at the same time will just confuse things,

unless you're chasing several rather gross errors at once, and then you fine- tune afterwards.

Making the main jet smaller will lean the whole circuit out, and then 

a smaller air corrector will enrich the top of the curve as revs rise.  Since you have a 

pretty small main jet (I think I run similar) you also end up with a small air corrector

to draw more fuel through it.  It never seemed 'right', but at the time I put it down to 

being restricted to a 40DCOE where a 45 probably would have been more appropriate.

I was not clever enough at the time to work on the emulsions very much...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, jp5Touring said:

Hey @72MetallicMalaga  did you get your high rpm lean numbers figured out ?

I'm have the sane problem above 4000-4500  with my DCOE"S also. 

130 main, f16,  170 acc. Tryin 60f8 idle jet with little luck. Float level seems to be correct also.

Curious what jets your running.

@jp5Touring see attached images for air corrector, emulsion tube, and main jet numbers (200, F11, 115)

I also added an image of the idle speed screw numbers as well (45, F9)

IMG_6206.thumb.JPG.1e0eec5afcb8f6adb9ee852cb32b6eef.JPG

IMG_6208.thumb.JPG.b34e77e8ab6a69fc0a74f17b1931072d.JPG

IMG_6209.thumb.JPG.0569a6cebd1d5f78549ac6893ba7a9c8.JPG

IMG_6205.thumb.JPG.26b2f5f8f15c9a6e0d9aaf4e0728cd5a.JPG

• Thanks 1

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II