• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coolant temp

71bmr02

Just now, visionaut said:

10% of 89mph = ?

Seems to my reckonin’, in Kitsap, yur speedo better be 33% off… 😜

HA!  I fixed that for you, Tom-too. 

I should have mentioned that I took the photo on I-90, while driving through Montana, where the speed limit was 80 mph.  (Exactly 9 mph lower than the speedometer indicated).  A 10% discrepancy makes for pretty easy math; so, I don't need a new speedometer.  Or, a new tachometer.  I am going to need new tires soon, though.  Unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

(Exactly 9 mph lower than the speedometer indicated)

I'll never understand people who get in the fast lane just to drive the speed limit. That lane is for CRIME!

Tom-too

• Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Virginia interstate speed limit is 70, 5 over no problem 9 over may be the limit before you start getting attention.  I run mine between 75 and 80 and on hot days the temp moves up to about half temp gage range.  I know it takes more miles to get up to temp in cold weather than in hot days and even then oil temp doesnt come up to a temp that will drive moisture out of the oil until several miles at highway speeds.  I'm assuming tooling around town at street speeds in cold weather will never get oil hot enough to drive moisture out.  So long story short, maybe driving in cold weather for short distances isnt good for these older motors with what may be marginal cooling systems, marginal may not be a good description but may be appropriate.  I know my new hyundai gets up to temp in a hurry and starts blowing hot air before i get out of the driveway, with a few minutes warm up.  The 02 needs a lot more warm up time before it warms up and even then cooler weather limits how warm it gets, again not warm enough for the oil temp to come up to hot enough but it will keep feet toasty and the defroster mostly works at least on the windscreen.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Back to the original question WRT temp gauge reading:  remove the sender unit (you'll  have to lower the coolant level first or it'll pee all over the place when you unscrew the sender), and use a stainless steel "toothbrush" to thoroughly clean the threads, both on the sender and its mounting hole. 

Brass sender body + aluminum mount = dissimilar metals corrosion; those senders operate on very small amounts of current, which grounds through the threads.  

And of course don't use Teflon tape on the threads!

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite