• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally a running car! Honda F20/F22 Swapped 1973 BMW

Wallyinc

So much work and fabrication, boggles the mind.  You should be very proud of accomplishing your goal and creating a car in your unique vision.  It was fun to see how many versions of the Valve Cover color scheme you went through on this build.  Truly inspirational, I need to learn to weld.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Thanks @AceAndrew! My daughters are my biggest cheerleaders. My 4yo wakes up early every Saturday morning and hangs out in the garage with me to work on the car (and watch Toy Story too). She's great at changing spark plugs! @Mike Self, I'll take you up on that for sure!

Right now the car is on jack stands and I sent the header off to Jet-Hot to get coated. That high-temp VHT paint lasted a whole 20mins. None the less it gave me a chance to insulate the oil lines to the remote mount oil filter and passenger side front brake. Not sure it was necessary, but can't hurt. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a824b37a0aaf5e4d396f3899726a932.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e30c9b72f2be9c104c3ed6a5b53f5ac4.jpeg

• Like 2

AC will be the very last thing to get worked on... I'm guessing around summer when things get really hot down here. The electric side of the unit works and is wired/working. Just need to run hoses now. I have this universal kit from Vintage Air and I'm really going to take my time running the lines. Maybe even on the inside of the fender so it doesn't crowd the engine bay. It "seems" there's enough room there, we'll soon see! 

image.thumb.jpeg.4550bf0b40e0dfdbd2c67f72922d0d40.jpeg

Edited by Wallyinc

@2002Scoob, my daughter REALLY likes the color, it's gonna be her ride when she's older. I liked the black and was even leaning towards a bare aluminum, keep it looking a bit 2002ish, but if she likes the flo.....

The other day she saw a car with underglows... I looked at her and told her "no-way!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Wallyinc said:

@Mark92131 check out this video! My welding isn't first-class... but pretty decent for a hobbyist!

I enjoyed that video. Very cool to see the time lapse. 

Any sound clip of this exhaust in current configuration? I'm betting it's loud with no muffler and what looks like a tiny resonator? 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

@danco_, I only have a clip of the car running on 3cylinders, sounds a bit off. After I fixed it (had a bad injector) it ran and sounded so much better! 

It only has a Flowmaster cat for now and sounds really strong at idle and a pretty decent at driving speeds too. WOT is loud though! Maybe too loud, but I’ll figure that out laterlater.

As soon as I get that header back from coating I’ll upload a great sound clip 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now that my girls have gotten their Christmas gifts… Dad got a bit of time to work on his car the last couple of days. 

I pulled the radiator off as my car needed a valve adjustment and it’s easier to access the crank pulley bolt with the rad off. Apparently all drive by wire S2000s suffer from tight exhaust valves from the factory and the exhaust valves will end up torching themselves. Sure enough they were way outta spec. All the intake ones were good. Major thanks to the S2KI.com guys for that. 

With the radiator removed I was able to install a high output alternator (220 vs. oem 110ish) The smaller pulley meant a few runs to the auto parts store but I found the proper belt.

Next came the header install )back from powder coating) and then covering up firewall holes with grommets. I also moved the probe from the radiator thermostat and added some switches to kill or turn on the fans at will. 

I eyeballed the alignment as best as possible for now and the car is finally sitting off jackstands and on the ground again on all 4 tires. 

Hopefully some good drive time coming up soon!

9BA0D44B-08B8-43AE-BD55-558FB9C1A33D.jpeg

2BC34406-95AF-4E81-9078-6CD86F643AF8.jpeg

EE26711A-C61C-48E8-B275-FA3F970E5747.jpeg

C253C927-3D7B-44DA-A365-9CC00330D227.jpeg

92C204B7-03E0-4F0D-8886-F60AD141B8C9.jpeg

278A1F73-705D-4B01-946E-0B7DDE50A62B.thumb.jpeg.5fae2a720f64b5148a317858991d7aae.jpeg

8D7533CF-B6FB-49D7-B9F9-F19236CE174A.jpeg

Edited by Wallyinc
  • Like 6

On 11/27/2022 at 7:22 PM, Wallyinc said:

@SteadFast thank you! It’s quite comfortable to place a milk crate by the pass. door sill (see pic below) and get to work… calming and soothing almost! Again really REALLY dislike being upside down on the drivers seat under a steering wheel 😵💫 

A757ECAA-B75E-4E0A-B8C3-A772854DE03A.jpeg

I think that is where I am going to have my MS3.  I am too fat and too old to be upside down for 40 hours while I wire everything in there. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002