• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turkey induced moment of reflection. Would a Honda be easy.

Dudeland

Would it be easier to swap in a Honda instead of working with my block? Hondas are a dime-a-dozen. Is it conceivable that I could swap out my transmission for one that would work with my BMW and a Honda? 

What transmission would you want/suggest? I feel that if I am swapping out the transmission, why not futureproof the drivetrain? Maybe an E.V. conversion one day (sooner than we think).  

P.S. I am not big on Turkey (although I make a killer deep-fried turkey that will haunt your dreams); I am unsure that we should celebrate the holiday at all, but I hope you used the time to connect with family and friends.

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

5 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Would it be easier to swap in a Honda instead of working with my block? Hondas are a dime-a-dozen. Is it conceivable that I could swap out my transmission for one that would work with my BMW and a Honda? 

Best just put a BMW roundel on the Honda & save trip down the upgrade vortex of doom.....  😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I contemplated an S2000 swap for a long time before i decided the only way forward was electric.

i honestly think it would be pretty straight-forward, drive amazing, and be a great fit for an 02. Others have already done it, but would def. need a bit of fab work, but nothing any harder  than any other modern fuel-injected swap. 

As for tranny, the s2000 gearbox is quite nice, all ya need to do is get the shifter in the right spot, adapt the mounts, and get a custom driveshaft made. Of course worth doing the standard motorsport upgrades to take the extra oomf like the rear diff, boxing the control arms, etc. etc. etc.

5 hours ago, dlacey said:

Best just put a BMW roundel on the Honda & save trip down the upgrade vortex of doom.....  😉

LOL. 

But you know what I mean.  These M10's won't be around forever, and we will need to modernize at some point.  I have the MS3, so that will run pretty much anything.  To make a daily that has a modest modern level of HP, and something that you can easily get parts for over the next 10-20, I think a Honda would be a good call. 

My focus is on drivetrain.  Dogbox maybe?

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I had the same thought 15 years ago-

S2000 and run SPU in a 2002 chassis.

But now, the S2000 motors are no longer a dime a dozen, and

I have lots more 2002 than 2000 parts, so here I stay for now.

My vote?  Keep it M10.  Then it's a 2002.  

t

now, E21 with 400V!

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

13 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Of course worth doing the standard motorsport upgrades to take the extra oomf like the rear diff, boxing the control arms, etc. etc. etc.

Don't ignore the front diff.

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 1 month later...

Hey! Still here...just been hibernating for some time while getting a new batch of parts together. The new website will go live tonight at 11:59PM EST. *Note: we have a long backlog of customers that we're filling orders for right now, but you can be added to the waitlist to get product. The website will show our products and the current pricing.

https://www.2002underground.com

• Like 1

I'd argue the S2002 swap may be less hours than a M20 swap

IMG_3186.thumb.JPG.3166c265fb7bcf6a5abb6a9550be29a4.JPG

Not for everyone though 

As for costs I know locally its almost the same for a used F20c as a good M10 rebuild 

And for certain the Honda 6 speed is less than a good 245 transmission today 

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

On 11/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, matt02UG said:

Our Performance Rear Subframe Kit will be available sooner than the Trailing Arm Kit. This will handle the 188mm "medium" E30 diff and comes with beef up half shaft and refreshed CVs

Good to know that you are still there. Do you have an ETA for the rear subframe kit?

Regards

P.S the website is a bit buggy.  I am sure you are working it out.  The grid won't populate unless you select a different sort by on the product page. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

@Dudeland I've been down this rabbit hole! One journey I don't regret either. I would do a k-swap if I was going to start the project this very day. More abundant and way more cheap than a f20/22. If you have any questions AT ALL, please let me know. I've figured the f20/f22 honda/2002 swap out down to the last detail... okay, almost last detail. Still working on my tune :) I'd be happy to help in anyway, also have a TON of photos.