• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No top end power

squidberg
Go to solution Solved by squidberg,

My son and I have recently rebuilt a 2002 engine. It has dual side draft Weber 40 dcoe. We had these serviced at top end performance. Jetting is in the picture. It has new 9.6 compression ratio piano top pistons to match the block which was bored out to 91mm. It has a tuned 4 into 1 exhaust. It has a Bluetooth 123 dizzy. I have tried both the stock and the to advance map. The timing of the cam to crank has been checked with a dial caliper from both directions. 
We broke it in for 500 miles and then tried higher rpm’s. It has hardly any pull above 3500 rpm.  

This engine should have some juice, but it takes 19 seconds to get to 60. 
Does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you,

Lou

7C9CC833-7A30-44FC-BD01-824286F1757A.jpeg

I doubt this is the issue, especially since you just had the car serviced, however from my personal experience most of my top end performance was lost because of an exhaust leak. When we fixed the leak, the engine power (especially torque) increase could be noticeably felt and heard. If you have an ireland exhaust system, those clamp bolts have to be impacted down to actually seal it up (ask me how I know).

I think the direction the others are going is much more likely to represent your issue, but I wanted to make sure all possible angles were covered. 

That setup looks like a lot of fun! 

Agreed- check dynamic timing to make sure it's 37 btdc over 3000.

The jetting and choke look to be in the right ballpark-

how's the fuel supply?  

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

33mm chokes are a bit small for a 2081cc engine if you plan on making any power above 5000 rpm.  That said it should pull well past 3500 if everything else is right.  I agree, check your throttle pedal/carburetors and make sure you are getting full throttle opening.  You also need to confirm WITH A TIMING LIGHT ON THE ENGINE you are actually getting the advance you THINK you are getting!  If you move the distributor the actual advance will change without changing the "setting" inside the distributor.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC