• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 - Proper fluid

pd_55

Reaching out to the Getrag 245 knowledgeable. I’ve searched the forum and there seems to be a range of recommendations from MT to ATF and different weights on which fluid is being used in the 245. I’m reaching out to see what is the proper and recommended fluid. This transmission is going into a Phoenix, AZ car, so mostly warm climate and not getting driven under 50 degrees. Thanks for any help.

LOL!
searched thousands of "whats the best oil" threads to find.....there isn't one.  

started a new "whats the best oil" thread.  guess what the result will be?   bunches of personal favorites and no definitive answer.  just like all the rest of the threads....

2xM3

I redid a 245 with 5 synchros and all new bearings. Shifted perfectly all winter. When the weather in SoCal went up to 95* it made a helluva bearing racket in neutral when hot; scared the hell out of me.  I changed the light Redline MTL for Redline something heavier (forgot what, but mind the brass synchros) and the noise disappeared completely. Operation of box was unaffected.

And don't use differential oil in your tranny either.  There are additives in diff oil--meant for the hypoid gears within--that are harmful to brass/bronze in the tranny's synchros.  

When I worked at a Renault/Peugeot dealership--way back in the last century--we had a special differential gear oil for out Peugeots as the 403s and 404s had a worm gear differential that used a huge bronze gear.  Peugeot specifically warned against using normal differential oil for that reason.  

As an aside, I've been using Redline MTL in my 73 for many years--it cured the notchiness that's typical for those B-W synchros.  And in my '69, I may have the only original, non-crunchy 2nd gear Porsche-style synchro left in a 2002--and I'm sure the Redline helped.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The "Proper" lubes without allegiance to brands is Hypoid 75W-90, 75W-110 or 80W-90 for the diff.

The trans takes all sorts of fluids depending on how worn it is, how fast the drive destroys the synchros and the ambient temperature that the car is used in.  But if it's a gear lube, it's non-hypoid lube.  Originally it used a GL1 lube that is no longer on the market and is equivalent to a SAE 40 engine oil. Since trans axles came out in modern cars a Manual Trans Fluid hit the market and is satisfactory.  Heavier fluids such as a 75W-90 GL4 manual transmission fluid is also used for loosey trans and in hot climates.  However if the 1-2 synchros are iffy then when cool the 1-2 shift will still have the grunch.  And lastly a durable (not the cheap stuff) ATF is ok as well, as recommended by Metric Mechanic and it's in my box now but is a bit noisy on light load driving along a wall.  But I may go to MTF (not Redline) if I get the urge. 

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.