• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of price should we ask for this 1975 2002 5-speed?

Ronan

Hello.

My wife is selling her beloved 1975 2002. It was her daily driver but now it needs someone else to love it.

It's got a 5-speed transmission with Bilstein shocks all around, lowered springs and front/rear strut braces. There's 

an aluminum radiator and LED lights on rear.

We bought it in 2017. Over the years we've replaced almost everything - starter, alternator, coolant pipes, brakes, water pump, stereo, battery, and we did a total engine/carb rebuild ~5,000 miles ago. It's in the shop now getting all the tie roads ends replaced and new brakes throughout.

Internally it's pretty decent. A few cracks and stains on the dash but nothing terrible. Some rust bubbles on the door and one wing but rust free everywhere that matters. Like I said, it's in the shop right now, but here's some photos from when we bought it. The original blue vinyl seats are back in front, as are the original wheels and the roof rack is gone. The A/C does not work.

We don't want to ask too much but don't want to ask too little either. We have a mountain of business cards from interested buyers over the years (they leave notes under the wiper blades asking if it's for sale) and would like to give them first shout, if the money is right.

Thanks all for your input.

R.

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726[1].JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

Edited by Ronan
Bad spelling.

51 minutes ago, Ronan said:

The original blue vinyl seats are back in front,

Thank goodness, sorry but those bright blue seats are just wrong.

Another knee jerk reaction here:

Assuming the engine is healthy (compression check),there is minimal rust as you say, passes an overall inspection and driving test, front seats are decent and no unforeseen "surprises"

I would not take a nickel under $13,500

yea that is a lot of assumptions

Knocked a $1500 off because the doors have been maimed to accept speakers

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

If you were to locate the correct seats and color, and if it’s running tip top $15,000.

If the a/c was functional, even more takers…..

The 5 speed is a huge upgrade!

the paint looks good, the engine bay looks toddy, GLWTS!

Edited by Mario Falfan

Having kicked tires on a number of rusty 2002s, I think the above estimates are low, if that car is as rust free as you claim and it appears to be.  If I read your post correctly, the original seats are back in place. I think the wildcard is what was involved in the “total engine/carb rebuild“.  Selling those seats separately will bring some additional $$, I am sure some color blind sufferer out there will want them, they look comfortable with your eyes closed.. Good luck with the sale! Tom

Thanks, folks.

Yeah, the original front seats are back in it. I remember when we bought it, the guy knocked $1k off as we didn't want them. He couldn't believe we passed up the chance to own those.

So tell me, other than getting the AC to work, what could we do to maximize the proceeds from a sale? Obviously we spent a lot of money on this car over the yers and would like to recoup as much as we can.

Someone asked what was involved in the “total engine/carb rebuild“ - here's the invoice.1428219099_ScreenShot2022-07-11at6_03_18PM.thumb.png.15c29286ec88eebe06561458aa91d664.png1446822439_ScreenShot2022-07-11at6_04_09PM.thumb.png.ddd1a86e3bcf2c02dfea4b068034f159.png

R.

15 hours ago, Ronan said:

So tell me, other than getting the AC to work, what could we do to maximize the proceeds from a sale?

Clean it meticulously, seats, carpets, headliner, wash & wax,  the works. Better yet just take somewhere and get it detailed.

The area under that rear window trim would be a negotiating/talking point for me.

Common for corrosion under there and I'll bet there's more than what can be seen.

2A53F452-FCCC-4265-A484-C2B5F89FDFDB.jpeg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Know any professional or semi-professional photographers.  Take it somewhere where the backround won't be a distraction. There is a white 2002 that just posted. Garage bay has an M6 buried under a hoarder's rubble. Another photo has another 2002 and assorted cars parked nearby.  Major distractions. A person's garage reflects how they treat their cars. My theory.

Worst case, look at photos on BaT. Identify the ones shot by a pro. Not difficult. Google how to photograph cars.

Make it pop!

• Like 1

Mr. Hall Monitor here.  You should cover the +/- on the battery in the trunk.  Something like this.

That will add at least $3 on the asking price, and it will increase the safety factor.

Very nice car - and I agree with the others, it should fetch a nice mid-high teens price - at a minimum.

GLWS.

Only the market knows for sure, but if you include the good advice provided here on readying the car for market the low $20K range sounds about right to me.  Good luck with your sale. 

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

5 Speed a big plus, partial Fjord respray with bubbles and dash wear big minus.  Install the original seats, (sell the blue one's separately as suggested), clean it up, better pictures, driving video will help your cause.  My guess, $20K+ on BAT, $15K - $17K outside BAT.

Good luck with your sale/auction.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)