• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior

Guest Craig N

Guest Craig N

Ready to start my interior/ new carpet project. Plan on installing dynamat on the floor. Is it necessary to add the mat to the panel between the rear seat back and the trunk?

A much less expensive and equally effective method for sound deadening behind the back seat is to hang a piece of carpet padding (or two pieces, one atop the other) from the two hooks that hold the rear seat back in place.  Then in the space under the rear seat cushion (presuming you haven't located the battery, subwoofers or amps back there) fill it with bags of styrofoam peanuts.  Very effective sound deadening, especially if you have a noisy differential.  

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I got the dynamat prefabricated kits  floor/door/and interior  

i have yet to install the door kits all the way   Wondering if it will be too thick and affect how the door card fits?   All other panels Went well on install. Popped a few air bubbles. Roller was helpful. image.thumb.jpeg.e4bd490103c418c86d6002506d241fea.jpeg

Not shown here is the vertical panel that supports the rear seat has it too. On the inside surface. 

Edited by Markster

Dynamat Prefab kit?  who knew!

Their website shows door panels covered just behind the door card.  Without a lot of thought, I'd see problems with that when you go to put on the door card unless it's a thinner dynamat material or longer plastic mounting kits for the door card are involved.  I'd also think that the inside of the outer door panel would be a more useful place to add deadening material than the inner panel (but it's also much harder to apply on the outer panel, even when the door-interior parts are not installed...)

A roller is absolutely needed to install the butyl deading materials successfully and permanently.  along with the bubble popping mentioned above.  But at $26, the dynamat roller must have internal web enabled AI that finds the bubbles for you.

(a manual roller for $7):

WWW.AMAZON.COM

• Haha 2

Guest Craig N

What is a good source to purchase the prefabricated dynamat kits? I haven't seen those. Was it more expensive but worth the money? 

2 hours ago, Craig N said:

What is a good source to purchase the prefabricated dynamat kits? I haven't seen those. Was it more expensive but worth the money? 

Dynamat online store.  I got the other items for the roof.  I like the 1/4 in product because it’s closed cell foam. So I used it for the roof. 
 Not sure how the prices compare to diy

BF25BBCD-EEF8-4534-8B74-4F9214E2C187.thumb.png.05bae8a64c28881cb3f215e1bbe4269e.png

On 5/29/2022 at 9:06 PM, Markster said:

Dynamat online store.  I got the other items for the roof.  I like the 1/4 in product because it’s closed cell foam. So I used it for the roof. 
 Not sure how the prices compare to diy

BF25BBCD-EEF8-4534-8B74-4F9214E2C187.thumb.png.05bae8a64c28881cb3f215e1bbe4269e.png

holy shit its that expensive? i thought it was a few bucks.....

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

15 minutes ago, bmw_e30 said:

holy shit its that expensive? i thought it was a few bucks.....

Noico and Kilmat are much cheaper option. They come in sheets.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=soundproofliv-20&linkId=6ed04d6a0dbb8799d0deec5dc47be842&language=en_US

What I didn't realise is the strait up sticky tar type stuff is to stop rattles more than road noise.  The foam type of stuff is better to attenuate the droning from the exhaust and and road noise. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002