• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this timing chain cover going to leak oil?

Eissmann

I won't use a cork gasket since the time I purchased my M3. The gasket had turned to Swiss cheese with the "rubber" degrading to allow LARGE gaps and holes allowing the oil to flow.

Paper with a quick spray of gasket sealer on both sides ..... Once and done.

Do be sure to peen the pan bolt holes back to flat before painting and assembly then tighten in stages.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Do be sure to peen the pan bolt holes back to flat before painting and assembly then tighten in stages.

+1 on dimpling the pan your #1 step to prevent a seeping gasket.. I also prefer paper pan gasket.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't handle the noise, so I used two sockets of different sizes, one on each side of the flange and a c-clamp to draw the pan.  Hammer just bounced, the pan is quite hard to reform with a hammer.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

26 minutes ago, jimk said:

I couldn't handle the noise, so I used two sockets of different sizes, one on each side of the flange and a c-clamp to draw the pan.  Hammer just bounced, the pan is quite hard to reform with a hammer.

Interesting approach. Are you using the sockets on each side of the sheet metal to be flattened and squeezing with a c-clamp?