• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter knob threads stripped, need hack repair

lewisfoto

22 minutes ago, lewisfoto said:

As the title says the factory shifter knob on my 02 won't tighten any more. You can thread it on and off no problem just when you get to the end it "skips" Was thinking maybe some blue Locktight? I don't know

I could get behind that.  Might work good enough to be a permanent fix; and if not, it'll still unscrew.  Might be able to get a jam nut that has the same pitch, put it on first, then back it up to the knob- the threads down there might support the load...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

The knob on my car has a plastic insert on the inside and that piece is threaded, not the rubber.  If I screw it on tight, I can continue to spin the knob on the insert, but it doesn't spin easily enough to be a problem.  If I screw it on and then twist and wiggle it while pulling up, I can slip the knob off of the insert.

I'm wondering if you might have a similar situation with yours, with the knob slipping on the insert.

If so, the threads might be okay.

"Skipping" sounds like stripped threads though.  Mine slips.

Tom

Try wrapping some aluminum foil or even Teflon plumbers tape on the shift lever threads and then screw the shift knob back on. 

Many years ago I turned a shift knob from a piece of koa wood I brought back from Hawaii.  I never put an metal (or even plastic) insert in the wood knob, and over the years the threads I made in the wood the first time I screwed it on wore to the point that the knob was loose.  Aluminum foil wrapped around the lever a couple of times did the trick.

mike

• Like 5

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes.  Mine isn't loose enough to be a problem, but I thought I would mention it in case that's where his is twisting.  CA glue (super glue) would probably work okay to secure the insert and that's probably what I would try on the threads, if they're stripped.  It comes in thin/medium/thick viscosities.  The thin is like water, so medium is what I would try.

I'm using a door knob shift knob now.  :) 

006.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Yes.  Mine isn't loose enough to be a problem, but I thought I would mention it in case that's where his is twisting.  CA glue (super glue) would probably work okay to secure the insert and that's probably what I would try on the threads, if they're stripped.  It comes in thin/medium/thick viscosities.  The thin is like water, so medium is what I would try.

I'm using a door knob shift knob now.  :) 

006.JPG

That is actually quite beautiful

• Thanks 1

I've had very good luck with this stuff that I got at Home Depot for 2 bucks.  I cut three narrow strips and threaded the shift knob over them onto the shift lever.  Has worked quite well for several years.  Can unscrew it if needed and put it back on.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.59.43 AM.png

• Like 4