• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Turn Signal Issue

Fla2002

1976 2002

I know there are pages and pages of ideas and solutions but my turn signals worked fine before the restoration and now they don't . I have the usual hazard light switch with a tooth pick wedged in to hold it down and worked fine.

Just starting to follow all the recommendations and have changed out the signal flasher to El 13. I am going to check all the grounds. The dash instruments and cluster lights work. The parking lights, license plate lights, and brake lights are working.  I did change out the bulbs when re installing but did not use the specific part number but a bulb that fit.

One item I noticed is my hazard light is slow to illuminate and very dim when the headlights are on. I know it was bright prior to the turn signal issue.

I do not have power to the turn signal switch but have power to the hazard switch.

I can say putting this car back together for a ground up restoration, doing all the mechanical, rebuilding the suspension, and sunroof  has been simple and relaxing. The turn signals are not.

Buy a new Hazard Switch.

Incorrect incandescent bulbs will cause an issue with turn signals. Check for circuit continuity with a voltmeter too.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

If you're referring to the small bulb inside the emergency flasher switch pushbutton being dim when the headlights are on, it's supposed to be.  At least on the original flasher switches, there's a small resistor soldered between two terminals on the switch's backside. (replacements bought now from BMW don't have this resistor)  With the parking/headlights on, current flows through that circuit to illuminate (dimly) the pushbutton.  When you activate the flashers, current flows through a different set of contacts and causes the button to flash brightly with the four exterior lights.  

If you're using incandescent bulbs for your turn signals, the rear signals use an 1156 bulb (single filament).  The front signals use an 1157 (two filament) bulb, with the brighter of the two filaments used for the turn signal.  If you connect the dimmer filament (the parking light) to the turn signals, it'll cause problems with the flasher.

I did a column recently on troubleshooting those pushbutton emergency flasher switches; PM me if you want a copy.  The column also covers how to fix the switch to eliminate the need for a toothpick to keep it off.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here is a rough draft of the turn signal wiring schematic.

Sorry....started this last year and haven't "cleaned-it-up" enough to share.

Hope it gives you some guidance. As Mike said, all turn signal bulbs should be the same (21W) for the flasher to work properly.

You can unscrew the red hazard button and remove the small bulb if the dim light bothers you when the lights are on.

Turn Signal draft.jpg

On my 72 the instrument panel never did flash more than 1 time when activating the turn signals. On my 67 I ran a extra ground wire from the turn signal lamp housing inner frame to a good ground and they flash every time, even on my 6v system. 

Problem solved:

During this whole process I decided to repair my hazard signal button and remove the tooth pick. 

Using advice provided by members I repaired the switch. Re installed the switch and now everything works. Thanks for all the help